Status
Not open for further replies.
I am totally in support of riluzol. It made me terribly nauseous, but I take a half an anti-nausea medication called metonia. Now I tolerate it very well. Experts differ on how effective it is. For myself, I was progressing very rapidly, but since taking rilozol/rilutek my symptoms significantly slowed down and plateaued. I have therefore enjoyed a great quality of life since starting the medication, with symptoms confined to my legs. I know everyone is different, but this has been my experience.
- Charlene

I haven't noticed any mild mood boost, but for the most part I tend to look at the positive side of stuff.

My Dr has taken me off of it for a week due to heart palpitations that I have been having, if there's no change then I can go back on it and then we will have to figure out what could be causing them.

For myself, Rilozule has been a life saver. My decline was very rapid before I took the medication. Now my progression has slowed down remarkably. I questioned whether I should continue because of the nausea. To counteract this, I take just a half of a Metonia (prescription med). This helps, and my body adjusted to riluzole after a few months. I no longer experience side effects. It can take some time getting used to, and an anti-nausea med like Metonia is certainly worth a try. I am therefore able to enjoy a good quality of life.
- Charlene

Charlene,
When you say you take one half of a metonia...what strength is the tablet, and how often do you take it? I've had to stop riluzole twice because of nausea and extreme tiredness, and I'm debating whether to try again.

Audrey, my prescription for metonia/maxeran is 10 mg. every 8 hours. But I cut back to half a tablet. What I found with riluzole was that it made me very tired and nauseous, but I'm glad I persevered over 8 weeks, when I turned a corner. It was as if my body adjusted to it, and with the help of metonia, the nausea was taken care of. The tiredness subsided. To give it a fair try, I think you have to take riluzole for 8 weeks at least. The difference in my progression has been quite remarkable. In fact, I am less weak, and more capable of doing things, than I was a few months ago.
- Charlene

Charlene, may I ask if you found early slowing of progression, like in the first few weeks, or did it take a while for the slowing to be noticed?

I have been taking it now for about a month but I cannot see any difference in the cramps or twitching. I was/am not expecting miracles by taking this...just more curious than anything. Maybe I will see something a bit later on.

It is only supposed to slow progression not improve symptoms unfortunately. Some of us are lucky enough to experience decreased twitching but it is not its purpose and sadly does not happen for all. Its effect on progression is greatest if you get it early

>Some of us are lucky enough to experience decreased twitching but it is not its purpose and sadly does not happen for all

it is you anniversary month, Nikki -- how are you doing?

Hugs, Max

Thank you for asking Max. I am doing well( knock on wood).

>I am doing well( knock on wood).

"knock, knock" :)

My husband feels like it has really slowed his progression (progression of bulbar symptoms essentially stopped). He has been taking it since November 2014 and liver function tests came back good this month. This disease is so different in each person, but he encourages giving it a try.

I am only on my 4th day with Riluzole. The only thing I have noticed is that I am really tired and I was fine before I started it. I don't know if it is the drug or the disease but I must say I don't like this feeling. Just plain worn out.

Vince

Try to give it a few weeks Vince I had side effects ( queasy mostly) for a few weeks then they went away. And it took 7-10 days for the twitching to fade ( I am one of the lucky ones) the effect on progression that I noticed was more 1-2 months to notice

>Try to give it a few weeks Vince

Ditto that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back