Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lansdale
Hello, I am a 55 yo male and I have been experiencing constant twitching of my right pectoral muscle for almost a month now. The whole right side of my chest twitches off and on for several seconds, then repeats a minute to several minutes later, all day, every day. I also have intermittent muscle twitching in my lower back, both thigh muscles, and abdomin. The twitching actually started in my left upper and lower abdominal two months ago, but those twitches subsided. I have recently stopped drinking coffee to help but the twitching, especially my pectoral muscle, is constant, even while I am falling asleep. I don't feel weaker than usual and I have not lost any function of my limbs. I have continued my daily walks of five miles. But the constant twitching of my chest and occasional twitching through out my body is quite unnerving. These symptoms have made me anxious and somewhat depessed because I have other diagnosed, unrelated medical issues. I am hoping someone can recommend a course of action based on my symptoms or that someone with similar symptoms can share their experience.

Lesdance. within the last of your paragraph...

" I have other diagnosed, unrelated medical issues."

If you would expand on that would be helpful.

Thanks for your reply. I am also being treated for Gout, high bp and cholesterol, and acid reflux. I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, herniated discs in my neck, lordosis and spinal stenosis. I am active, walk roughly 5 miles per day. But this constant twitching of my right pectoral muscle, all day, every day, has me very concerned. There is a lot of conflicting info on the internet regarding symptoms. So, I came to this site to see if anyone had similar experiences and what was done in terms of seeking medical advice.

Never, ever, have I heard of ALS starting with a pec twitch.
Twitching means nothing, regardless of what you read anywhere else. Please work with your doctors, seeking medical advice is always the best way forwards. All the best, I'm sure your doctor knows you well and can work through this.

Thanks for responding. The twitch in my right pectoral muscle has basically vanished. But now these twtiches have moved to different areas of my body. One day it's my shoulder, the next day it's a bicep, then it's a tricep, then it's a thigh twitch, and so on and so on. Today I noticed that when I tap my left forearm it provokes twitching in my shoulder, which has been twitching most of the day. Does this pattern of twitching sound suspicious for ALS?

No, not at all. Most likely you could benefit from a stretching regimen and some activities that require diverse range of motion, such as swimming, Tai Chi, Pilates, dancing, etc. It is also worth making sure that conditions that are painful such as gout, GERD, and radiculopathy, are adequately treated. Long-term pain can lead to twitching and other sensations of being unwell.

Truly this is incredibly important - twitching means nothing. Please read the 'read before posting' message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back