Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IN
City
Ossian
I am 22 years old, with a recent history of extreme health anxiety. I recently moved back home, and started a job on night shift working 70 hours a week. Ever since I started working nights, which is the first time I’ve ever worked nights, I noticed my left eye twitches almost non stop.

My right eye even does it, and sometimes other places in my face. I just brushed it off as stress. But recently, i noticed both my legs started twitching above the knee, a lot. Then came a weakness that felt like I had just ran about 2 miles, even though I didn’t. Also with a feeling almost like my legs needed to move.

After this, I started googling symptoms. Of course ALS pops up, and the anxiety started. Since then, the twitching in the knees went away, along with the weakness. But I saw that hand weakness was a symptom, and a couple days later my hand felt weak.

If I can keep occupied, I don’t notice it. But when I think about it, it just feels that my fingers aren’t working, but I can do everything with them. I am really freaking out, and it’s starting to control every aspect of life. I now have twitches all over my body, here and there.

Does this sound like oncoming ALS, or am I just freaking myself out? Only other thing is that I’ve had upper back pain, which feels like a pinched nerve, going on for about 4 years. Along with sporadic sciatic pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guessed and wrote it -- you are freaking yourself out. ALS symptoms don't go away when you keep occupied. ALS weakness doesn't show up after you start googling.

Working nights for the first time and 70 hour weeks-- can you spell disrupted sleep architecture? Which in turn causes twitching, fatigue and anxiety. Which feed off each other.

Some people just can't do nights. A lot of people can't do 70 hours. You'll either adapt or not. Don't take anything just to adapt -- it's not worth it. If nights and/or mega-hours are not you, find another shift/job.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back