Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
IA
City
Cedar Rapids
I’m a slow progressor/possible PLS, limb onset.

Even before drop foot, I had ribs that would “fatigue” for a better word. Then I’d feel pain. It’s really only getting more constant. Does this happen to anyone else? Driving or doing a lot of sitting up is the worst aggravator. Laying down or standing is better but I do so much less standing that they really cause pain this week. If this has happened to you, is there anything I can do to alleviate? Baclofen seems to help but I feel it makes my balance even worse.

I would try range of motion exercises and holding stretches (to the extent of your abilities) that include your chest muscles in the center and both sides, including arm raises to the side at shoulder height and also above your head. When those muscles get tight, pain is the result.

How is your posture? That might be a contributing factor. I know it is with me.

I also have torso weakness and increasing intercostal cramping. I am interested in hearing of others' solutions, as I have basically just reduced my activities in an attempt to reduce pain and fatigue. With normal chair sitting (like at a dining table or in a car), unless I am in a seat the can recline a bit, my time upright is limited before I have to move to my recliner or lie down to rest. Kim brings up a good point about posture- perhaps some decent seating support can help.

I take Tizanidine at night in order to get as restful and spasm free sleep as possible. Baclofen wiped me out too much and actually increased muscle discomfort.

I am sorry you are experiencing this and hope there is some solution for you in order to continue driving comfortably. I'm not sure if you were as surprised as I was at how progression happened- I thought my limbs would be hit the most and did not consider my torso would be affected at all.

Blsdmama and Fiona, are water exercises an option for you? It may be a way to help you maintain flexibility and conditioning using the water to support your torso.

I found the best thing for all my pain is to sit in my lift chair with a heating pad on my back. I still walk and use the pool but must be very careful of my posture doing both. I just came back from the pool and my back is sore. I know exactly why. I stayed too long in a position that wasn't good for me.

Although not all PALS will want to risk it (breathing suppression) Valium is my magic bullet for both cramping and muscle pain. I take it with Tylenol. If the pain gets real bad, I'll take 1/4 of a 15 mg. Oxy and that helps. I only use the Oxy when not using it will interfere with something I'm planning.

The other thing that works for both pain and cramps is a combination CBD/THC. I use a very low dose TCH and a very high dose CBD. That knocks me out at night and I fall asleep pain free.

I also have torso weakness and increasing intercostal cramping. I am interested in hearing of others' solutions, as I have basically just reduced my activities in an attempt to reduce pain and fatigue. With normal chair sitting (like at a dining table or in a car), unless I am in a seat the can recline a bit, my time upright is limited before I have to move to my recliner or lie down to rest. Kim brings up a good point about posture- perhaps some decent seating support can help.

I take Tizanidine at night in order to get as restful and spasm free sleep as possible. Baclofen wiped me out too much and actually increased muscle discomfort.

I am sorry you are experiencing this and hope there is some solution for you in order to continue driving comfortably. I'm not sure if you were as surprised as I was at how progression happened- I thought my limbs would be hit the most and did not consider my torso would be affected at all.

I suspect this is precisely what's going on.

I'm constantly surprised by progression. I thought it would be methodical - I expected the left leg to follow an identical path as the right leg and it very nearly has EXCEPT that I expected to not have right arm involvement until after the left leg was more involved. Instead my reflexes and spasticity in the right arm are already changing.

I also get chest pain - seems like it’s after too much arm exertion. I’ve learned not to do too much and rest regularly. I usually just bear with it but sometimes take Tylenol or ibuprofen.

I have significant discomfort in my ribs. My intercostal muscles went pretty early and I am weak in my thoracic area.

What works for me is to sit in a very supportive seat. The most supportive seat is my wheelchair. Though I can still walk a bit, I have been a wheelchair use for over 4 years now. Spending time in my wheelchair, whether I am going someplace or not, is the only thing that really reduces the pain that I have in my thoracic area, including my ribs.

I suffer from cramps in both the front and back thoracic regions (around my ribs) as well as in my diaphragm. Spending time in the wheelchair reduces the number and intensity of the cramps, but does not eliminate them.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back