Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
ES
State
AN
City
Sevilla
Hi, I'm so sorry to be here again, be sure that it's not very pleasure. But I received a paceful answer the last time, that I prefer to ansk here instead of google.
I'm a 32 years old men, 33 soon.
I've been suffering fasciculations for the last five years, every day and widespread in all my body. Sometimes I feel mi leegs like worms nets. At the begining I was really afraid, but with the time I learn to live with it. I received a clean EMG on 2017 summer (only twiching).
The last week I had a really strong fasciculation day, and I show it to my mother, she was concern and told me that my grandmother died with Als, she was diagnosed on her 75 years old. On 2017, we were a little bit far, and I didn"t tell anything about my concerns.
Now here we are, with all my fears raising again.
I feel the twiching widespread and non stop, I feel some light symptons like involuntary movement of my hands or like my throat closed, but it could come together with my fear.
I am going to be dad soon, and I am really afraid that it could be familiar, my mother is 65 and she looks okey, like to my aunt. She is older, around 72. We where speaking about and she were not able to tell me another case, bou some of out familie died young, and here in spain, the time were hard in the first half of the century.
Without my twiching, I think that I would feel safe, but with a direct familar the static show hard agains me.
Please I need some light, and clarify a little bit how works familiar Als.
Thanks in advance

Prior thread here for past discussion.

Hello Ormar- sorry you find yourself back here with concerns about ALS.

A single instance in your family of someone diagnosed much older than you are now does not mean familial ALS.

You had gone to see the doctor about your concerns 5 years ago, so they will have a record of your clinical exam and emg results. I recommend you visit with them again for another exam- they can measure any changes and provide you with way more reassurance than we can here. 5 years of twitching and no other symptoms points away from ALS. I am hoping a visit with a doctor will also provide you the reassurance you need.

Take care

Twitching strong or not without other symptoms is not worrying. Twitching for years without weakness is even more reassuring

most cases of ALS are not familial. Familial als also usually presents a lot younger than your grandmother was. Also familial casestend to happen around the same age. You are more than 40 years younger. Also your mom is fine as is your aunt. No other cases known. ALS mutations can’t skip a generation if one’s parent didn’t inherit a mutation ( and again I don’t believe for a minute your gm had one) their child cannot inherit it.

my family is typical FALS multiple relatives multiple generations and not one neurologist or researcher has even blinked because it is expected

I'm sorry to see you back here.
Your mum will be diagnosed with ALS many years before you. As said above ALS cannot skip someone like some diseases can.
Twitching still honestly means nothing just like the last 5 years.
Please return to a life of peace and put all your energy into the wonderful news of becoming a father. You cannot have ALS from your grandmother.

Thank you for your words, today I'm going to see my ex, who works in a hospital, and I suppose she will have a colleague who can reassure me or perform a test. I didn't want to resort, because I don't want to start this dynamics of resorting to an EMG frequently to reassure myself, it didn't seem like a healthy attitude to me.

But as shiftkicker thinks, this would allow me to get out of the hole again, because getting out alone would be very expensive and I prefer to dedicate my efforts and mind right now to my wife, who is also very worried.

I will tell you when I have my results, which I hope are good.

Thanks for your helo, have a nice day.

But Shiftkicker did not recommend another EMG. She said, go back for an examination by the doctor who you saw 5 years ago.
It is totally up to you how you respond to this, but 3 senior members have assured you that ALS will not happen this way.
You need to do the rest with doctors.

Good morning, at the end the neurologist decided to perform an EMG, he said that he have never seen a "healthy", person twich as hard and continious like me. I twich on my feet so hard that it is painful. I belive when I reduce my anxiety it will improve.
He said that no signal of first motoneurone damage can be observed on the Emg, but suggest to perform a follow up, this is the point were I am a little bit worried, but I have to learn to live with it.
He have prescribe ritrovil in order to reduce my anxiety, reduce my twiching and leave the stress circle where nowadays I am.

Thanks for everithing, all my goods hopes are yours

Fantastic - you now have confirmation that this is not ALS.
To cover themselves, they always recommend a follow up EMG, usually 6 months is common. This just covers them to check if anything changes, but does NOT mean they are looking for ALS.

Take the meds and follow up with your GP, but no matter how strong or weak, twitching without weakness really doesn't mean anything pathologic. Great to see this result, thanks for updating the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back