Restaurants are open....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Karen. I am so sorry - I responded to the unimportant part of your comment.

That sense of being isolated is awful. I hope there are opportunities for you to at least get outside in a safe environment.

Best,
Bill

1589917327398.png
"Full break" Nice suit. Real "Spiffy" :)

OK Beauty! You and I took the most important part of the last page of posts was the picture of Al! What a handsome devil you are! You never shared this side with us before.;);)

Looks a little bit like Michael Caine.

So after the gradual reopening started here in Ohio, restaurants could open last week with outdoor seating only - including 6 ft distancing, masks required for all staff, and limited capacity. Part of the mandates required all BEVERAGES and food to be consumed at tables. Well, as one can imagine, several establishments and many customers couldn't handle it. Yesterday's daily briefing by Governor DeWine started with a good old fashioned scolding for all of his Ohioan "childrren". So calm and cool, he remined me of Dad sitting us down in the living room for a good "talking to". He reminded us all of the rules for reopening including the harsh realities and consequences of not complying. Kind of like when you were given the family car for the first time but ended up in a ditch.

We will both reopen the economy and remain safe when people, all people, follow Daddy DeWine's rules.

I'm thinking Clayton Farlow, from "Dallas"

Here's one before I lost so much weight...

Attachments

• DSC00387.JPG
    DSC00387.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 271
  • AXA.jpg
    AXA.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 285
While things here seem to be slow…

Being this sub-forum is Rants & Raves I’ll write a little about
Texas Hold "Em Poker.
If ya all don’t mind. If you’re bored… just something to read.

I believe poker is 50% skill and 50% luck.

In “Texas Hold “Em” (World Series of Poker) you are first dealt
two cards face down. You very carefully look at them. With Texas
Hold “Em” if you don’t have at least a Pair, like two 10s or two
Kings or two high ranking face cards, you are starting with a weak
hand. Stay or fold. (A pair of Aces… you’re in for sure.) You can
chase the “Flop” then the “Turn” and finally the “River” hoping for
something to turn your weak hand into something decent. Along
there’s betting and raises if you can afford to stay in. That’s gambling.

Luck… you can be dealt three or four weak hands in a row like a
5 and 9, 2 and 7 or 6 and 10. You’ve got to get decent cards to
prevail. Again… Luck of the draw.

The “Flop”… three cards are dealt face up in the center of the table.
The “Turn”… one more card is dealt face up.
The “River”… the last card is dealt up. Betting and raises in between.

Let’s say you have a pair of Kings in the hole, on the “Flop another
King shows up, you have “Three of a Kind”… decent.
On either the “Turn” or the “River” the fourth King shows up…
You’re probably going to win the pot with Four of a Kind. Maybe.

Today, for me, it’s the young players… 20 and 30 year olds. They
bet wild. Ridiculous bets and raises. You really have to study them,
facial expressions, hands fidgeting, playing with their chips.

But, you have to stay into their bets and raises if you are holding
a strong hand. How much do you want to bet, (spend) maybe calling
their possible “Bluff”?

However, I have a favorite saying, “Sometimes Sheer Luck Prevails”
and I’ve seen it work for them… amazingly.

Now, sometimes that phrase works when I have to try and fix something
here around the house. :)

That's a pretty good description, AL. I've always thought any pair in the hole, even a low number, makes it worth staying in for the flop. If I'm playing a goofy game with friends where we've assigned a wild card, then maybe not.

It's interesting you mention the wild betting tendencies of the younger players. When I was in my 20s and could stay up till all hours, I would play in the poker rooms in Vegas and Tahoe late into the night. Around 1 or 2am, guys would come in drunk and start playing stupid. That was a good time to clean up. I didn't have a lot of money back then but table stakes were much lower back in the 90s. That was before the poker craze happened and everyone and their brother started playing, causing table stakes to increase. After that happened, I stayed mostly at the craps table and the sports book.

Side note - in the mid-90s I started going to Vegas every year with buddies to watch (and bet on) the NCAA basketball tournament games. It was so much fun. We did that for about 20 years, but in recent years it's become so mobbed at that time that it stopped being fun. So crowded - everything is a line. Now I can't imagine being in a crowd like that. Ahhh, the memories.

Here's the thing. Everyone has a "tell." Whether you think you do or not. I took quite a few courses in forensic auditing that included facial expression recognition and interpretation, body language, eye movement recognition.....etc.

I learned so well I could pass a polygraph test lying.

In one of our courses we studied professional poker players. One guy's tell was respiration rate. His only went up 2-3 breaths per minute. It was all very interesting because I started my career in banking and could spot a con a mile away. I suppose I missed my calling as a criminal 😅

Kim, might be giving away some of my secrets.... it's amazing how things you post here
get copied and show up somewhere else.

When I play I look at my hole cards once.... I know what they are. I keep a straight face,
I don't smile or engage in a a lot of table chatter. Many of the guys wear sunglasses.
when they look at their hole cards I watch their eye brows. If I were to have a pair of
Aces in the hole... I do not move mine in any way.

If they keep glancing at their hole cards usually it means they are wondering whether
to go with it. Along with the other quirks I've mentioned above.

Respiration rate really isn't something you could observe at a poker table with so
many.

As you wrote concerning banking,

".....and could spot a con a mile away." That's calling a "Bluff" in poker.

Maybe it's the poker in me but I've done it here a few times and it hasn't gone
over well with some folks that I have. :) Mods.... :) :)

Whatever.... all I have written above does not mean you will win the tournament.
Luck... you have got to draw the cards needed to win. There are very few multiple
winners in the World Series of Poker. It's mostly someone new every year.

Again, my saying... "Sometimes sheer luck prevails."

In poker I'm beginning to wonder if the word "Sometimes" should be replaced with
the word.... "Often." :)

Now that's a mischievous look, if ever I've seen one!! Downright ;) "rascally!!" B.😷

1590871629755.jpeg

B, nothing mischievous.... just an old gambler who has an understanding of odds, as I have
given to some of the "Could this be ALS" posters.

Here's a gamblers tip to all... save your money and don't buy Scratch Off Lottery tickets.
The pay off percentage is worse than playing slot machines. And... they are manipulated.
The tickets sold to stores come in packs. There is nothing about them when printed is
random. With an RNG computer all they have to do is remove one or two numbers from
the running computer series and that printed pack of 30 will have very few winners or low
amount winners. Guaranteed... no big winners or the Grand Prize.

If you go on the Lottery Winners web site where they list the winners of a $1000.00
dollars or more it shows where the ticket was sold.

Ok, here in North Carolina we have relatively big cities, big populations, Charlotte,
Raleigh, Greensboro and Winston Salem. When you go to the"Winners" site you'll
see most the big winners are in little small towns, rural areas like a cross road
intersection that has one Dollar General. Holler's Corner.

It's a matter of numbers and odds.... if the Scratch Off tickets were completely
random and not "directed" the winners list would show a majority of winners where
more tickets would be sold by population. But, put winning tickets out where
sales do not come close to the sales in the bigger cities... sells tickets.

What's really "mischievous" is the State Lottery Scam that preys on people who
really can't afford to buy Lottery Tickets.

Buy one occasionally just for the hell of it... who knows. :)

Didn't mean to ramble on.... just something to read.

Last edited:
Playing the lottery is entertainment for many people. Most understand the odds are WAY against winning but they play anyway. I give scratch off tickets in Christmas cards to the people with whom I play cards. Just the delight on their face shows they are excited about the very remote possibility of winning. It's fun. Nobody expects to win much.

All that said......my hairdresser never played the lottery in any form. He went out with a bunch of friends on a camping trip and they stopped to buy some beer. Everybody got a ticket so he did, too. He won $6,000,000 that night. needless to say, someone else cut my hair the following week. He had to move because the "friends and relatives" came out of the woodwork. Last I knew was he settled in Colorado and is loving his new life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back