Diagnosis
01/2015
Country
US
State
OH
City
OLMSTED FALLS
I feel bad because I don't have a lot of experience in offering help or resources to others in need, I am just figuring out this ALS thing myself and ask for more help than I give.

Now I am asking again. I am caring for my 96 year old dad who lives alone, but he is failing. I do his medicines, his doctor appts. paperwork, phone calls and fill his fridge with reheat meals. My husband of 34 years has ALS. His speech is almost gone, he lost his job, he needs help dressing at times. You all know the drill. And...my youngest, a girl I have raised since birth got pregnant at the age of 17. I am dealing with her school, lawyers, hospitals, and trying to arrange a private adoption.

These extras are taking so much time away from my husband I worry about his mental status. I am caring for his needs, feeding tube, meds, washing up, dressing, setting up his text to speech program, but, he is a social man and I am on the phone, texting, filling out papers, meeting people constantly and he has pulled in and is depressed a bit. I want to give him 100% but I have to be there for dad and my kid at the same time.

It won't last for long, adoption should be final in a week or two and I will have much more time to interact with him. My question, does anyone know of a respite care volunteer or agency in northeast Ohio that will come be with him an hour here and there when I have to be gone, to help him, talk to him? I need to find someone who can come in and talk to him, help him turn on his ipod if he wants to text (he is a luddite) someone that will be there for him when I can not. Or is respite care for my dad an option so i can be here? I am all my dad has, my mom is gone, I am an only child, his family is gone. He needs me or he is all alone.

Expert opinions or resources?

I googled several ALS societies and respite subsidies available in northern ohio. Did you try them?

Try senior services in city, county also.

Turnip,

Oh my god, how much can one person handle? Your load is incredible! I agree ALS association can be a great resource. I actually had a friend volunteer to make calls and gather information for me for respite options. Can your dad be in assisted living? It's hard, I know but may be an option.

Huge hugs from a former Clevelander,
Sherry

thank you all. I was so muddied I couldn't think. You have all given me options. Gotta get a grip and take charge. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back