Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
KY
City
Louisville
Hi I'm posting this for fear I may have the respiratory onset of ALS. My symptoms of shortness of breath started well over a year ago and seems to imrpove after a few weeks but was still there. In the last week it has gotten much worse. I am short of breath just from sitting having to take in deeper breaths and minimal activity.

I must say I have severe health anxiety and would not go to a doctor over my fear, stupid I know. A month ago I finally went to my family doctor and told her about my breathing. She ran blood work, an ekg and chest exray. All were normal. Now I have an appointment for the pulmonologist next week.

Along with breathing issues I have twitches but I have been twitching for years. Sometimes I cough after eating or drinking and bits of food sometimes gets stuck in back of throat.

Sleep has gotten worse with breathing when falling asleep I stop breathing no matter the position. I can lay flat and breath fine. My heart races a lot as well. I don't have any issues with limbs, chewing or tongue. I know respiratory onset is rare but I really do not know what else it could be if lungs and heart is good. My oxygen is normal but I read you can still be short of breath with normal oxygen.

Does this sound like onset to you. I feel very alone and hopeless. The twitching in my abdomen and diagphram scare me as well. I am mid 30s female who has always been quite healthy. I appreciate anyone who reads this and who responds. Thanks

No. But any advice or opinions here are not as valid as going to a doctor. Usually, when breathing issues arise, one would not thing of ALS. There are so many other causes. You might have sleep apnea, asthma, allergies or any number of things that compromise breathing.

Let your pulmonologist sort it all out.

Thank you for the reply. I'm just very scared about my shortness of breath. When I read about asthma my symptoms do not match the description. I do not cough, weeze or feel as though I'm breathing through a straw. My lungs feel starved of air where i have to take deep breaths to relieve the shortness of breath. Constantly sighing and yawning to get more air. Can respiratory onset start with only breathing first

You don't evidence respiratory onset. Period.

I agree with others. You dont have symptoms of ALS, regardless of onset pattern. However anxiety may cause your symptoms and that is worth exploring with a doctor, but don't use the internet to diagnose this. Be well.

Sorry I do not mean to upset any members here. I get short of breath just from talking so something is definitely not right. I will not be posting again until i see the pulmonologist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back