09/2017
Country
SP
State
NY
City
Lugo
Hello,

I was not sure whether to make a new post or to post on a previous one on teens, but I think that living away changes the experience quite a lot so I figured it would be helpful to open a new thread.

As some of you know, my father was diagnosed with PLS. I am from Spain, where he still lives, but I currently live in Princeton, NJ, where I am pursuing a Ph.D. For this reason, I would be interested in knowing about the experience of people who live away from their parents. I have considered moving back, but I think at this point it will only make my father sad and depressed, as if the disease were also preventing me from fulfilling my projects. I have decided to wait and see how the disease develops, which so far has been slowly, before making a decision.

So far, my mother is the primary carer (57(. My brother, who is younger, is considering going back near home to begin medical school, but he also lives far away at the moment. Thanks to the perks of academic life, I come back quite often, spending over a month for Christmas and three months over the Summer, in addition to spare weeks throughout the year. Since I work on a discipline for which I do not need a lab (pure math), I could even do some of my research from home.

However, there are of course a lot of things I am missing and it is sometimes very stressful to not be sure what is going on at home. I am seeing a therapist, but I would appreciate if people could share their own experiences, whether they decided to move back or not, and how things went generally.

So many thanks,
E.

Hi Emanol:

I live in NYC and my father lives in India. I didn’t move back but I have been home 4 times this year (he got diagnosed in Oct of 2017) and I’m planning to go again this month. I’ve struggled with whether I’m doing enough. My mother is the primary caregiver and this has been really difficult for her. I think having more people in the house would definitely have eased things but I was not able to move home. Happy to chat more if helpful - sending comfort to you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back