Friend was DX
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Kirkland
Hello,
I'm new here. I have a close friend who is in the process of possibly being diagnosed with ALS. So at this time there is no definitive YES/NO. Regardless I'm dedicated to helping my friend anyway possible. I hope this is the right area to post this question(s). At this time I know very little and would like to know more.

1.) Does anyone know if there is any relation between chemical weapons developed during WW2 some of which I believe were eventually used post-war as pesticides and the neuro toxin that causes ALS?

2.) Has there been any study done how hormonal imbalances affect the contraction and/or spread of the neuro toxin that causes ALS?

3.) I've read of natural means of cleansing out neuro toxins for example Mecury from the body using natural medicine. Is anyone aware if this has helped ALS patients?

I'll stop here for now. Any help is much appreciated.

Respectfully,
Bladestunner316

What neurotoxin is the one that causes ALS?

From the little research I've done so far there are links between contracting ALS and neuro toxins. This is due to a report of italian soccer players contracting ALS from pesticides. As well as Military Veterans in particular Gulf War vets who were exposed to neuro toxic chemicals.

These questions would be best addressed by a professional...doctor, research professional, ...... Articles could maybe be found on web site searches. I

don't know otherwise! My husband has ALS. He is a Vet. God only knows why at this point! Pray!

No one has been able to identify what triggers ALS. Yes it is true that Veterans are twice as likely (still a remote chance) of having ALS then the general population. Heck there are some theories that there are multiple causes of ALS but since we can not identify the cause and the syndrome is the same it all gets lumped as the same disease.

As far as cleansing your body you can find that type of info all over the web but none of it has proven to be true and most are proven to just be scams.

KissJ,
I hope for you and your husbands sake a cure is found.

TedH5,
I appreciate the input. So in essence if I'm interpreting your opinion correctly ALS is potentially not one but multiple diseases. If this is correct then to me that is not good science to label a few things which in fact may be separate diseases altogether as one in the same.

Again I appreciate your opinion on natural medicine. Though something may not be proven to be true does not mean it has been proven to be false. A good friend of mine not the individual I stated above argued a good point that according in his opinion or knowledge on the subject there must be some truth to Chinese Medicine due to it being in use for thousands of years. I only mention this as Chinese medicine is at least the one my friend was referring to is natural medicine ie. herbs, plants etc...

What I am saying is only a THEORY that I have read and heard some Neuro's discuss. Basically there could be multiple triggers to the same disease. Just like you can have lung cancer from smoking and non - smoking lung cancer. Two different triggers for the same disease.

Feel free to explore natural remedies and I wish you luck. Personally I feel that if something worked everybody would be doing it.

From the little research I've done so far there are links between contracting ALS and neuro toxins. This is due to a report of italian soccer players contracting ALS from pesticides. As well as Military Veterans in particular Gulf War vets who were exposed to neuro toxic chemicals.

You didn't answer my question. What is the neurotoxin that causes ALS?

And you're right: you have done a little research -- a very little bit of research. And you're not here to learn about ALS -- you're here to promote a theory about the cause of ALS and probably to promote yet another quack "research" site that just happens to sell a line of expensive nostrums that is supposed to cure what ails us.

And, unless I miss my guess this one is going to involve traditional Chinese medicine -- or maybe something like Zhineng Qigong -- none of which have been proven effective against ALS to the satisfaction of us barbarians in the Occident.

So spare us the condescending "I want to know what you think" jive and go ahead and make your pitch. Then we can laugh at the funny monkey doing the tired old tricks and get on about serious business.

Current ressearch I have found on legitimate sites (.edu, .gov) talk about glutamate responses on the nerves. I asked the neuro group at UVA about pestcides, and they said no legitimate research has turned up any. There seems to be an issue with repetitive head injuries, but in many aspects this can be a deductive diagnosis. Also remember that there are many scam artists out there that will take advantage of our terror. There are also many neurologists without a sufficent experience base to work with an ALS patient. I am not an MD, but a medical consultant who has been in the industry end for 35 years. We used to have a joke when we trained surgeons on our equipment: "Do you know what they call the MD who graduated in the bottom 10%of their medical class? We still call them Dr."

trfogey,
You tell me. That's why I was asking my questions. I don't see me promoting a "theory" but if you get a rise out of putting people down for legitimate inquires then maybe you should see a psychiatrist to address your insecurity issues before you attempt to provide answers to people who want to know more about ALS. I truly to have empathy for you having this disease. It does not give you license to promote your bitterness towards others. I'm hear to find answers if you cannot provide meaningful input please do not respond.

hjlindley,
Thank you for your response. If you have a link or know a book and could post it here when you have time. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you again!

I've always considered that MND's aka ALS are different diseases under the same umbrella, just as cancer and viruses are... there are a zillion different kinds of viruses and cancers, and they ultimately can destroy your body. So does whatever "triggers" ALS, whether it's in the foot, hand, bulbar, whether you live 6 months after diagnosis, 6 years, or in Hawkings' case, 40+ years, it ultimately does the same to all of us.

When I worked at the American Cancer Society in the early 2000's, their goal by 2015 was not to "cure" all cancers – as they constantly change in people's bodies – but to have cancer become more of a "chronic condition" as in diabetes (which obviously can still kill you) but you can also live many productive years in the meantime. I'd like to think that we're closer to that with ALS as well...

So you have made 5 posts in your long time contributing on this forum. Helped how many people?
Trfogey, who is one of the most helpful and careing members here, has helped hundreds of people including me. You come here and tell him he needs to see a psychiatrist, because he helps protect us from continual misinformation.
What he does, is get us to question ourselves about our thought processes and help us to look at things in a more rational way. People don't always like the way it's put, but phooey, that's their problem.
His comments are made with concern for the person who is misinformed and a deep level of caring for the forum family here.
He does not need me to " stick up for him", but I can't keep my fingers off the keyboard this time.

Blade, I am not a PALS and even I know that there are people who come here to take advantage. So, why are you jumping on TR and acting like it is so unusual that he would think that of you, given your unusual question?

Did I miss the answer to the ? What is the Neuro toxin that causes ALS. I bet a lot of people would like that answered.

Okie, they have not identified a neurotoxin responsible for ALS. Helens answer is a good one.
I think it's like most diseases, we are born with a whole set of locks in our genetic makeup. If, during our lifetime we are exposed to certain elements, lifestyle, or whatever, we can stumble inadvertently ( or sometimes advertently as it smoking and obesity) into the " key" that turns the lock and we develop the condition.
Far too simplistist I know, but helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back