Status
Not open for further replies.
From a more conservative article from the New York Times:

"Still, it is far from clear that this is the wellspring of A.L.S. There are at least a dozen processes that also might contribute to the demise of motor nerve cells..."

Link to complete article here: Possible Culprit Is Found for Lou Gehrig’s Disease

I talked to my neuro about this. Apparently this mechanism has been known for a long time and a drug came close to clinical trials a few yaers ago targeting this mechanism. However the drug was deemed unsafe and was pulled because it had some bad side effefcts on mice.

I say we test new drugs on convicted pedophiles and serial killers. Unfortunately, they are a closer biological match to us than rodents. PETA might be happier. :twisted:

Ok, I know that is wrong but I am frustrated with the slow pace of research.

Received this email today from the ALS/MDA Assn. Additional information on ALS Research. Thought you might like to read it.

Familial, Sporadic ALS Linked via Astrocytes and SOD1

The combined effects of astrocytes and SOD1 protein appear to be toxic to motor neurons in models of both inherited and sporadic ALS

Article Highlights:
• Scientists created human cellular models of familial and nonfamilial ALS, using cells taken from postmortem (after death) spinal tissue of people with ALS.
• They found that normally neuroprotective cells called astrocytes become toxic and cause nerve cells to degenerate in the new models for both the inherited and noninherited forms of the disease.
• It's known that astrocytes are toxic to motor neurons in a research mouse model of ALS that carries mutated SOD1 genes; now scientists have shown that astrocytes and the SOD1 protein appear to be similarly toxic in a model of noninherited ALS.
• The data warrant further study of the roles of both astrocytes and SOD1 protein in both familial and sporadic ALS.
To learn more, read the ALS News Online article.

Welcome to MDA's ALS Division
Scott Wiebe
National Director - Outreach Services & ALS Division

World Leader in ALS Research and Services

It seems to me that there is hope for any PAL that is still alive and breathing. For all we know, a drug already on the market for something else could help.

I'm betting there have been animal trials going on that we might not even know about if this has been a serious speculation for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back