strikeout

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Brick
Just a quick question. We are renovating our 10' X 23' garage into a roll in shower ADA bathroom and sleeping area for my husband and myself when he can no longer get down our narrow hallway into the bedroom. Does this sound doable with enough room for all the necessary equipment when it comes to that. Thanks so much for your help.

Having just finished a roll-in shower I can tell you the dimensions of it. It is about 7x7 square and is very nice. I've got to get some pictures. The floor is 2x2 tile to help with the slope and the walls are 16x16 tiles all the way to the ceiling. Fancy. So the back half is all shower and the front half has the toilet with bidet toilet seat (very important) and roll up sink. I got everything at Home Depot. Probably could have got the bidet toilet seat cheaper at Plumberscrib web site but... Also the shower head is the kind that has a hand held head also on a vertical bar. Looks metal but isn't. Weight is important. I used a "handyman" that I have used before to do major things around my house. He is great. He reinforced all the walls so I can have grab bars where ever I need them. I had hoped for a ceiling lift track but didn't do it. May in the future but for now didn't. I have too many skylights!

Additionally I added cement ramps to a new entrance to my house and used the hinges that add about an inch and a half to doorways. Really helps with power chair access around the house.

Good luck with it.

Sharonca

Thanks for your quick replies. Cindy, I tried to open that website but it said page not found. Sharon, Our proposal states a 5'X 8' shower. It will be all open, no curtain, glass doors or anything. It will also slope toward the center for drainage so I will definitely pick out 2" X 2" tiles for the floor. Thanks for the tip on that. We have chosen a Toto bidet seat with a separate remote and also a very strong slide bar for a hand held shower. Also chose a wall sink and shroud, which will have an 18" hinged mirror above it. They are putting in something called an ejector pump to pump out waste. Does anyone have any experience with these? All the fixtures I feel pretty confident about. I just have a fear when we are all done, that it won't work as planned, not enough room for a bedroom, etc. I'll go out to the garage and I swear it seems smaller everytime I look at it. It is just overwhelming along with everything else. My four year old grandson loves some of the scenes from the move The Money Pit, and he likes to talk about them with me. I'll say "Everything that could go wrong" and he finishes with "Did go wrong". So maybe that's where I'm getting some of my fears from LOL. God bless you all.

Hi Strike- I updated the link. It should work now. Centers for Independent living are
CENTER FOR INDEPENDENT LIVING‑ The term `center for independent living' means a consumer‑controlled, community‑based, cross‑disability, nonresidential private nonprofit agency that is designed and operated within a local community by individuals with disabilities and provides an array of independent living services.
A Center for Independent Living:

51% of staff are persons with disabilities; 51% of Board of Directors are persons with disabilities; and provides four core services:
  1. Information & referral
  2. Independent living skills training
  3. Individual and systems advocacy
  4. Peer counseling
They can be useful on a variety of levels. I advise folks to look into their local chapter.

I freaked when I saw the size of the stripped to the studs room I was remodeling. Looked like a shoebox! It is just great now. Only thing I need to fully use it is a bench to sit on to dry off. I can still stand with assistance and just need a grab bar for support.

So nice that you are going to still be able to share a room with your husband. Sounds like a great CALS to me!

Sharonca

Thank You Jeff and Cindy!

Your post made me have an "ah ha" moment. I am, or should I say, I was, struggling with finding approved contractors for a renovation project for my hubby. Not only needing the contractor that worked with accessiblity issues, but also VA registered. Cindy I found the Disablity Network that services my area here in Michigan, and was immediately relieved of my stress of finding qualified and registered contractors that can help us. Wheww! Now I just have to get them here! There is so much more that you have to do with getting funds approved, that at least the list is available, that cuts the time down in half. Thank you!:-D

You guys are the best. Thanks so much for all of your help and suggestions. Bless you all.

I will soon need to move on to the main floor of our house because climbing our stairs is getting difficult. We considered a stair lift but we have been advised by our OC that as this disease progresses I may not be able to use the chair lift so she recommended that I make a bedroom and bathroom on the main floor. At the present we have no main floor bedroom and and only a 2 pc bathroom. We live in Canada and we have no one to ask how to build a bathroom that will meet all my future needs. We have a great contractor but he has never done a handicapped bathroom. I don't want to build it then realize we forgot something. As I am unfortunately not the first person with ALS I am surprised that there is not a tried and true plan for a bathroom that will meet our needs. Also, if we convert the diningroom into a bedroom for me it will be almost 20' from the new bedroom and my husband will be sleeping upstairs. How will I get to the bathroom on my own and what if I fall in the night, how will he hear me? I was diagnosed last October so this is still new to us and I can still walk with a cane or walker. It is in my legs only. However, I am already having trouble dressing my self and having a shower or going to the bathroom alone. How do you manage all these daily bodily functions?

Hi, If you want I can talk to you or your contractor about what you might need.
I am a local call from Vancouver.

I was a contractor and have setup several bedroom/bathrooms for the purpose you inquired about.

I also have ALS, am wheelchair dependent and have a tracheostomy and vent so have experienced, first hand, what is needed.

If you will allow me to share what I know, please post a response (in the affirmative) and I will contact you by email to set a time to talk.

Look at this thread; Post #18
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7645&page=2&highlight=bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back