Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
PA
City
Zelienople
After 4 1/2 years on IV Radicava I am transitioning to the oral form. I've just made the change (two doses of the oral form so far and no problems) but my doctor and his nurse have both mentioned having my port removed. From what I have read it appears that the removal is not difficult or painful. However, I don't feel in any rush to have it removed until I'm sure that I will remain on the oral drug.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations about how soon to have removed, and whether to do it at all.

Best regards,

My husband has not bothered with the removal of his port. Unfortunately, he's most likely at the later stages of his disease, so anesthesia wouldn't be recommended for him, anyway.

I had my port removed 6 months after I stopped Radicava. I only waited that long to make sure I didn't want to start it again. Took about five minutes to remove it. Of course, the prep took 2 hours. I had it done under local anesthesia by interventional radiology.

I hate surgery/procedures (tried to run away during a colonoscopy I woke up during!) and the removal of my chest port from cancer treatment was entirely painless. Didn’t even feel any pressure and there was a veil I couldn’t see through for what they were doing. They even were training a medical student during the removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back