Diagnosis
08/2022
Country
US
State
VA
City
Ashland
Hi, I informed my VA Neurologist that Relyvrio is now on the Formulary (https://www.va.gov/formularyadvisor/drugs/4041753-SODIUM-PHENYLBUTYRATE--TAURURSODIOL-PWDR-RENST-ORAL)

I asked her to please write a script and ship me some soonest. She replied that she can't right away, and that she now has to get Relyvrio approved at the local VA Formulary, and there are forms she must do and she must wait until her local Formulary meets again. Anyway it has been over a week since she told this to me, and I am trying not to annoy her with more emails, but question for any Vets out there....are you getting Relyvrio from the VA yet?, and if so, any tips that I can pass on to my local VA, to help them move things along :). Thanks, Mark

As the document you linked to states, the drug requires prior authorization, with specific PA criteria. So while it is available to vets, it is not available to all PALS vets. I believe the PA is the process she is referring to, since the local VAMC cannot change the status of the medication in terms of VA policy. The criteria listed for approval are listed in one of the linked documents.

Correct. We went through a similar process with Radicava when it was added to the formulary. Each VAMC developed guidelines for who would be eligible to get Radicava based on the formulary specification. They then had to create written procedures to administer Radicava for infusion RNs and those VAMCs that allowed Vets to self-administration at home. If I remember correctly, it took about 5 weeks from when it was added to the formulary for everything to be in place at the KC VAMC for the first Vet to start Radicava.

Thanks this info is helpful.

I got my ALS clinic doc to prescribe it for me. I understand that it has to be approved by National, and then your pharmacy has to order it. I have been working with a couple of my pharmacists starting on the 12th of Jan when I returned from New Year Vacation, and I am told that it is on the way. I will let you know when I get it. I do recall that there was a hold placed on it stating they needed my approval, not sure what that was but you might want to follow up with your pharmacist.

Got it today!!! Woo Hoo!!! Check your MyHealthEVet account to see if Pharmacy put in a note titled, "Prior Authorization Drug Request Consult Results." Mine was done by a pharmacist on December 23, shortly after it was prescribed. Pretty sure this is the form they send to National to determine if you are able to take Relyvrio. Then there was the other aspect of it, I had been on Vacation from the 28th of Dec to Jan 9, I followed up with the pharmacy I think on the 12th, and it said something about me needing to give permission to fill the relyvrio. This very likely could be because I pick my meds up and don't want them mailed. I have worked at the VA since 2003 and as a union steward I know a lot of people including pharmacists. Check with your pharmacist, go to the consult room and ask why it isn't here yet. That is when I got that part about my permission. Then today, I got the text saying that it is ready for pick up!!! Already took my first dose as soon as I got home. Taste... meh, but not so bad that I can't drink it. Contact your pharmacist and make sure that everything that needs to happen has happened. This is new stuff to them too. Let me know if I can help in any way.

My Doc approved it and waiting for first shipment, will then be on the 3R's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back