Relation speech-swallowing-breath (throat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jethro

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
09/2017
Country
HR
State
Croatia
City
ZAGREB
although i have no breath and swallowing problems now, i have lost my ability to speak 80%. it is slurred, just like single record on 33 1/3 rpm. to avoid slurred speach, i make pauses between a words. i have no problems with one/two-
syllabic words, so when people hear it, they think that i can talk normal.
my breath/lung is still at app 100% fvc, but throat is a first air router, made me choke several times.
what should i expect first after speech is completelly gone? choking or swallowing problem? or they come together?
it seems that i entering new phase.

Last edited:
Choking and swallowing sort of go together. You might check in with a speech therapist.

How soon your speech issues are followed by swallowing difficulty depends on the order of muscle weakness. That you have begun choking suggests it may be fairly soon and possibly while you still have some speech. Unfortunately one function does not have to be lost before you lose more of a different one.

I'm so glad you're still breathing on your own. I'm on my machine 24/7, It was not an easy adjustment. I believe I'm moving into a new phase as well. My voice is basically a whisper. I purchased a little voice enhancement speaker, it helps. Swallowing is fun, chewing 34 times then turning to the right and tucking your chin to avoid aspiration. Needless to say I don't like being fed in public as it is, so now I order in. Choking is so frightening, because I can't cough, so clearing my throat isn't going to happen, and can't move my arms so no universal choking symbol. Now my new challenge is overwhelming amounts of thick throat clogging saliva. I am terrified.

I can't speak at all, I had a feeding tube put in about three years ago but still eat all my meals in the normal way, only use the tube for meds. I feel fine and can still chew gum and drink beer from a glass, so you never know how this disease will progress.
Al

I have refused both a breathing tube and feeding tube. For me, the scariest part of this disease is not an early death but living needing constant care. I am thankful for my wife (and full time caregiver) of 40+ years understanding my wishes. That being said, I just started my 3rd year after diagnosis. I can still eat most food, but need to stay away from leafy vegetables and rice. I choke at least once a day when drinking but my lungs are still clear. The excess thick saliva and my inability to hold my head up straight are more of a problem. Juicy fruits are also hard to eat as I have difficulty controlling the solid matter from the juice and swallowing properly. My speech is poor and I cannot talk unless seated comfortably. I get too out of breath to talk when moving. I use BiPAP every night and sometimes during the day as my pulmonary functions are poor as well. On the plus side (and another thing I am thankful for) I get calls from friends every day...just wish I could talk more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back