Reflexes

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazzy

Hi guys,

I know no one here is a medical expert but has anyone ever had hyperreflexes in a certain limb and then no reflex? If so what does this mean?

Will have to take my list of questions next time I visit neuro but in the meantime just wondering if anyone has experienced this.

Cheers,

Kazzy

Hi Kazzy,

Who is testing the reflex - you or your doctor? If it's not your doctor - you might not be hitting the right spot.

Hyper-reflexes are a common symptom for ALS - but I expect that as ALS progresses - as nerves degenerate and muscles atrophy - the whole reflex response will be broken down - if there are no active nerves and the muscles are atrophied - I don't see how a reflex can occur.

Here is what is happening in a knee jerk reflex:

"The normal knee-jerk or, "patellar jerk," reflex is elicited when the knee is tapped below the knee cap (patella). Sensors that detect stretching of the tendon of this area send electrical impulses back to the spinal cord. The spinal cord automatically sends a signal back along a nerve to MUSCLES of the front of the thigh. These muscles are then activated to contract, causing a kick. "

I expect that if ALS has progressed to the extent where all the nerves to the muscles of a limb have degenerated - no reflex will occur - even if this limb previously elicited hyper reflexes.

This may not be what you want to hear - and I may be wrong - it's just a guess.

Good luck.

Richard

Wasn't what I wanted to hear. I asked the Neuro about my reflexes if they were hyper and he said you have no reflexes. Fun WoW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back