Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IN
City
Hi,
Thank you for reading this I am 57 years old and a female. 3 weeks ago both my calves started twitching ,just these little twitches all over not big enough to be like cramps but enough to wake me up at night ( I do want you to know I read the sticky about symptoms and I have hesitated and hesitated to post on here because of it). Went to my Internist 2 weeks ago and they did blood work it was fine they gave me muscle relaxers and said to wait.
Too worried I had to go to a neurologist i saw a neurological nurse practitioner today.
She did an exam and I told her my biggest fear is that could this be a symptom of ALS. The twitching stops if I am walking and moving - I will have some twitches in my legs throughout the day just depends. During the day they are random worse on some days than others. I had convinced myself not to post until this happened today - they did a reflexes test to test for hyperrflexia. I think that is what it is called. She tapped below the knees or patellar reflexes is what they are called on both legs and she said I did have some hyperrflexia in both lower legs when tapping on my knee. It ”fliniches/ kicks like it is supposed to but she said it swings several times after - like a pendulum. She rated it 4+ or +4 can’t remember. She said she wouldn’t call it abnormal but it is the upper limits of normal. I kept asking if she thought it was normal or abnormal she said the norm would have been in the 2 or 2+ range. Her exam other wise was normal she took blood wants me to give it a little time. I think she realized how anxious I was because after the reflex test I was almost in tears. If you haven’t noticed by now I have anxiety issues even before my legs started twitching. She wasn’t going to order an EMG but I think she could see how upset I am. Anyway she ordered an EMG but I can’t have that for a month. I am so scared and worried. The other thing she said is do you have a slight tremor in your head - I said I didn’t think so or hadn’t ever noticed. Then I said my son had said that to me in the past. She said she had only noticed it a couple of times during the visit and thought it was when I was really anxious so she wasn’t even worried about it or worth mentioning in the notes.
Obviously she said lots of things can cause twitching so she wants me to do some things ....

I was trying not to worry about the twitches but the twitches with the reflexes that has me so anxious and worried I had to ask someone if this could be presenting symptoms of ALS.

Thank you to anyone who might want to comment or give me any thoughts. I am scared.

some people always have jumpy reflexes. Also when you are anxious you will be more hyperreflexic. The fact that it was both sides is also reassuring. ALS is not a symmetrical disease. Head tremor is unrelated.

Agreed, try to use the month to work on your stress, whether it's more walking, better diet/sleep, improved hydration. You can address both your anxiety and the twitches this way.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you to both for answering. I keep reading everything I can and are there times with ALS that you might present with just twitches and no weakness? I am reading anywhere and anything I can find about twitching and I can’t figure out if I am reading things from people who just have twitching and they have no other symptoms or they are just commenting on that one symptom. That’s what is freaking me out these people talk about twitching and nothing else.
With ALS does the twitching stop if you are moving? Is it intense or light? Would it be more prevalent at night? Even if I move my legs around at night it doesn’t necessarily stop. It’s not overly intense but annoying just like little twitches all over and not deep twitches it’s just like right underneath the skin. Would that be how a twitch would feel with ALS?
Could either of you help me understand that or anyone else and I am so sorry to keep bothering you how worried should I be?I am so consumed. I don’t know how worried I should be?

Blood work came back normal no vitamin deficiency meaning low in anything that could cause this from that stand point. I feel like I am about ready to just breakdown I am so worried.

ALS is not a twitching or fast reflexes disease. It is a loss of motor function disease. We are telling you exactly how worried you should be about ALS: not at all. If you can't accept that, please seek counseling for your health anxiety. Iff the movements are worse at rest and at night, you could ask about screening for RLS.

As you have read about BFS, twitching doesn't mean you have a disease, a deficiency, or a problem.

Stop reading, start living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back