ktmj

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
Dixie
City
Redneck
I went to a new PCP today since my long-time doc is leaving town. I explained some of the neuro stuff going on and asked him to check my reflexes. I've never been told I have brisk reflexes and they have never felt that way. I had a diminished reflex in my foot. He said and I agree it probably from my back surgery two years ago. The odd part is that I did not feel my left arm reflex at all. He did not mention it so I just straight out asked him. He acted like he really did not want to say anything probably because he did not want to worry me one way or the other and he is not trained enough to know what that could point to.

Anyway, my question is are reflexes always hyper somewhere with ALS? I know they diminish with time but that is after severe muscle wasting right? Thanks for any input.

p.s. I definitely did not ask him to check my gag reflex.

All I know is that last time my neuro checked my reflexes and I asked how my reflexes were? He said, what reflexes? He does have a sense of humor. I've got some severe atrophy going on here so that may be true in my case.

AL.

LOL about your gag reflex!

well, you will find out more answers to this next week, right? when you say that you did not feel them, did you see it move? maybe he hit wrong. He is not a neuro. I have been getting my records together and reading them. So, at my first neuro vist where I was concerned about als it said that my reflexes and strength were fine. Kinda strange since that is when I could feel them feel funny. Anyway, one month later I went to als neuro and she said my reflexes were brisk. when I looked at the report the day of my emg with als doc, my reflexes were reported to be 2 of 4 through out. I thought the scale was up to 5. so is it 2 of 4 or 3 of 5? anyway my long point is that it seems to have varied in my case but I will find out in 2 weeks at CC....yikes.

Try not to stress about this one, he is a pcp.

Yeah I am not really concerned by the reflex I was actually thinking it was maybe a positive sign for something treatable. Heck I could still lift a 5 gallon gas can with that arm even though it would shake and feel very different from a few months ago.

He hit it on the tendon several times then tapped me further down the forearm a few times. I felt nothing move.

Oh well we'll see next week at Emory

Really April I just don't want the reflex thread to die. I am on the crackberry or I would insert a smiley.

I don't know. Perhaps someone else has some more information. Based on what Al said eventually it gets to the point where there is not enough muscle to react to the strike.

However, before that point, brisk reflexes is a common finding indicating UMN damage. I could have sworn I read someone mention on the forum (maybe even Wright... ...hopefully not taking anyone's name in vain :) ) that brisk reflexes in an atrophied limb was was a clinical finding pointing towards ALS (assuming all other causes have been ruled out.).

Take care,

Robert

OK Robert....are you implying that Wright is like the Almighty? :-o Have a great night.

Hi guys, I think it was me.... I wrote that..

Good evening, hoping! Just giving Robert, and Wright a hard time. :wink:

I have brisk reflexes when neuro hits my knees. Toes also go up, and spread when scrapping the bottom of feet. I have denervation (biopsy) and atrophy at my knee, thigh, and calf, of my right leg.

Doctors wonder 'MND', but another biopsy (first) showed 'myopathic' changes. My Dad's father passed from this disease, when I was a child. Keeps the doctors thinking. It keeps me confused.

Have a good night!

That totally backfired on me, and good for you for calling me on it lovelily :)

I just hate to falsely attribute a piece of information to someone, and was trying to think of a way of covering my bases. I was pretty sure the comment was made by Wright or one of the PALs on the forum who has done a bit of research. After hunting vainly for a bit using the search feature, I figured I would condition my response.

Unfortunately, I deified instead of indemnified...

Take care,

Robert

Yep Lovelily I remember your story, and that could be myopathic, gosh thing is so crazy and hard to figure out. Just glad you found us, and of course no matter what you have, it fits and is welcome with us..Hope things point to something treatable in the future..

KTMJ~

I think when you have absent/reduced relfexes that can be indicative of CIPD, and you know that is treatable.....

Yeah I have seen that too April. As much as I try not to self test I do. You can't really test them though except the knee, and my wife thinks I am crazy anyway so I don't even ask.

yea, it is hard to practice what we preach.............

Thanks Hoping, for your kind words! :) I ask my grandfather in heaven, to ask God for a total answer. I know eventually my prayers will be heard.

You have a good evening!

Hi Robert. I wish you the very best, at your next round of appointments. The answer it out there somewhere.

ktmj....thanks for letting us use your thread! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back