Referred to Dr. S.H. Appel in Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Appel

Carolan, I think you described Dr. Appel and his staff very well. I started seeing him in Feb. 06, referred to him by a friend in the Louisiana ALS Chapter. I was diagnosed in Dec. 05 by 2 other neuros that told me to go home and get my affairs in order. I don't know how to explain it but me and my family had a much better outlook on this disease after seeing him and his staff. We now go to Houston every 3 months for his clinic. I also seen his card, on my intial visit I ask him if he had any idea how much longer I would be able to walk and he pulled out the card that say's Only God Knows. God Bless

I'm hoping here no-one took my statement the wrong way. Maybe i am crazy after all...that would be good at this point, right yall?

Dr. Simpson, was probably one of the nicest dr's i've ever met. I've heard the same about Dr. Appell. They are the top ALS facility in the south, bet. the two Mayo clinics. I just hope the dr was right about me. My friend here has nothing but good things to say, so Shatzie, you are in good hands for sure. They did everything on me from A to Z and addressed all of my concerns. At the time, i didn't show enought to make her worry i guess....again...a good thing.

Anyway, most of you know there is not a bad bone in my body. I just can feel every bone...lol...

Bdyle, are you coming to the Lafayette Clinic anytime soon? I would like to meet you for lunch or just a quick hello? If you are and you find that you have a few extra minutes, let me buy lunch or just meet you so you can put a face with the name. PM me if needed.

Rgds,

Jamie

hello Mark. Sorry to hear about the DX. I know you were hoping for something better. :cry: Cindy

Thanks for the info, especially Carolan for the details. I talked to Ella at Dr. Appel's yesterday and they had finally received all my records. So I have an appointment for Monday, February 4, 11 days away. I was really surprised they could get me in that soon, but one of the things I have been asking my friends to pray for was that I could get in ASAP and at least get the ball rolling.

Shatzie, glad to see you got your appointment so quick. I pray that you will get a non ALS diagnosed.

Shatzie, I will keep you in my prayers!

Irma

Shatzie,

Good luck with your visit to Dr. Appel. I went to him in Nov. of 2005 and went through the ordeal, which appeared to me to be a formality or routine of sorts. The 2 1/2 day deal was cut to 2 days due to Dr. Appel having to be in a meeting at MD Anderson. With the exception of a spinal tap and a pulminary test, I had went through the other main tests they ran before I went to Houston. What was strange to me was the fact that I did'nt see Dr. Appel till the 2 days was over and he came in the room with his team and read their findings. He said it appeared to him that I had ALS. I asked him what he had based his decision on and he said the nerve induction test and the strengthening test in my arms and legs. I found out through a general neurologist in Shreveport that Dr. Appel has officially diagnosed it as "probable" ALS on the paperwork. I did'nt personally feel as though they went out of their way to make sure there was'nt something else wrong with me when I went to Houston. Shatzie I hope things work out well for you and may God bless you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back