Not open for further replies.

rictak in IA

Country
US
State
Iowa
City
ruthven
Patty was asked last week by the admins. of her school district to step down as FT Kintergarten teacher. Of course she is slowing down, and deligating help around the room, and has been for some time. But the powers that be have decided that it is in everyones best intrest if she repopsitions. The new job of FT elementary reading teacher will keep her in her own office, with the kids coming to her 1-2 at a time, same pay,same bennifits, same in school hours, but much less after school time. honestly I think they are right, once the sting wears off of the decision being taken out of her hand, she will like the hours, and the lower responsibility. But the sting will stay for a while. Only person I ever met who decided in the 4th grade "I'm gonna do that" and stuck with it for life. Kintergarten was her dream job, her extramarital affair and her other set of kids. I'll be glad to have her around more often, as long as the change of job dosn't make for a major chance in her attitude. Hopfully she will still feel fullfilled, and like a teacher who makes a differance.

Wow, that had to come as a big blow to her. You have a wonderful outlook about it and hopefully she will come around after the shock of it all, to see that this decision was made in her best interest. She will still have her "extramarital affair" and her "other set of kids" on a daily basis. I pray she will come to see the blessing in that. God bless you and her!

Sorry to hear of the change. I remember when my husband who was a police officer had to give up his gun and badge. He could have continued working behind a desk, but he decided to enjoy retirement as much as he could since he knew he wouldn't be around for his regular retirement. It's a big sting. My heart breaks for her. Every change or loss of function is such an awful mourning period. I hope she adjusts to the new position and enjoys more time at home with you. :)

Take care.

Even though it's a big change, and you she didn't necessarily want, I think its a good thing that her school system is trying to accommodate her needs as well as those of the kids... She's see some of "her" kids as well. Are they switching her immediately or transitioning the kids and letting them have a party for her? I'm sure the parents will be concerned about the transition as well. And bittersweet as it will be, it may help her as well. I hope she's able to stay working for as long as she wants.

It is so heartwarming to hear how Patty's school district is working to accomodate her. So many ALS patients, my husband included, have had horrific experiences with their employers, often long time employers. I hope that Patty quickly realizes that she will have so much added strength and stamina with the change. She will be in a position to really enjoy her time with the children, and they will see the devotion she has to them. Hopefully, she will see that she is an extraordinary influence in these children's lives and be fulfilled. Hopefully, Patty's progression will be very, very slow and she will be able to stay in the school setting for years to come. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through this transition.

Are they switching her immediately or transitioning the kids and letting them have a party for her? I'm sure the parents will be concerned about the transition as well. And bittersweet as it will be, it may help her as well. I hope she's able to stay working for as long as she wants.

Well, thats the thing, we had our meeting with the school board last Thurs. and her last teaching day is tomorrow, so the sudden switch has her a bit thrown, plus she starts the new possition on Mon. so this weekend will be BUSY! We have to clean out her room and set up her new office so she can be bright eyed and bushy tailed and figure out the new job with little warning. Just to add insult to injury, Tomorrow is the 100th day of Kintergarten so, big party for the kids and all that. Plus I'm sure you are all familier with the sad faces and extra attention from coworkers, so emotions tend to run a bit high around here right now.

It's the emotions that kill me at times... I just sort of lose it when people get "too nice" about things. So prepare her with a anti-depressant to help her cope. I know I'd be a blubbering idiot. BUT, going out on the 100th day of Kindergarten makes it kinda nice in it's own way too. The kids can come and visit her with their new teacher, who hopefully is someone that they already know. That will help transition. Good luck tomorrow to you both.

This is so wrong in so many ways. First they took the decision out of her hands without first talking to her about it. How considerate it would been for them to present her with this option rather than take it upon themselves to just do it. My heart goes out to her! I'm sure she is like me. I've been a teacher my entire life until I had to retire to stay home with my husband. To take your class away from you mid year would break your heart. The new position will probably make life easier for her physically, but the emotional toll will initially be a major trauma (or it would have been for me). My school district was great to support me when I had to leave mid year. I will always be grateful to the wonderful staff that facilitated my retiring early. They even let me have a voice in my replacement teacher. Please give her a hug from one teacher to another and tell her that she is in my thoughts and prayers.
By the way, I ended my career as an early childhood special education teacher. Those little ones that age are so lovable.
Janis

Janis
We both felt like that for sure at the start, but 'tho I can't speak for Patty I tend to see it more like Miss does. While I know the district has their best intrests in mind (as they have to), I think they went out of their way to see that Patty is getting a job that she can still enjoy and get somthing out of. I went to the meeting for her because she was too emotional to face everyone, and while I absolutly don't belive their line about how the whole move was to "make sure Patty was getting the most out of her home and family time" (sorry, I'm a small town carpenter, don't speak administative BS, that was candy coating "We need to cover our own asses") I do think this switch will benifit both sides. Maybe I didn't feel this way, maybe I'm just rationalizing, but I really think the sting will wear off, she will still get to teach/gossip/lunch with friends, and be vital, she just won't have to go into the room every weekend for hours at a time, and will be able to come straight home when she wants to. At least thats how I hope it works

What a blessing to work for a school district with their heads not in their rearends. Though I have to say that is pretty awful for them to make the call without involving her in the decision. I know how that feels. I'm still on administrative leave with pay while they figure out what to do with me. I wasn't consulted about a darn thing! My principal hasn't been in my room in months to even know how things are going!

rictak in IA, I hope Patty's last day in the classroom today went well... I know it was probably a very emotional time for everyone concerned, it must be a relief for her to get it over with.

Hoping all went well today and that Patty is able to find the blessings in this change.

She sounds like one of the "One in a Million Teachers"{ The one you remember your whole life. I know it will be hard. It was pretty nice of them to keep her pay the same with less hours. It really sounds like they are very compassionate and looking out for her best interest. They probley realize it's getting to be a little much for her. It's a shame they could not wait another couple of months til summer break and let her start the new position next year though. It's nice to know there are still some employers who understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back