Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburg
Hello everyone. And bless you all for taking the time to be here and help with others like myself suffering with the misfortune of doubt and the unknown.

While I know no one can diagnose ALS via the net, it does help to get feedback into possible solutions to these “symptoms” I have been experiencing for almost 6 months. I have read the stickies, but I have also read stories of PALS from when they think they first started getting symptoms, so it’s rather confusing.

Anyway, I have been experiencing pulse like twitches all over my body. You name the body part, I’ve felt it. When I say “pulse”, I am referring to one singular twitch/tic. It’s very rarely a continuous twitch. But I would almost feel better if they were. The fact that it’s a single pulse every time is very alarming. Not to mention I have been having foot cramps starting around the same time.

Is this something that raises any red flags?
And thank you again for taking the time to making at least one person sleep better tonight...

Nup, you are fine. Twitching means absolutely nothing, no cause for concern in anything you wrote :)
Seeing a doctor for your concerns is your best course of action.

Single pulses don't raise alarms for ALS any more than runs of twitches. Neither do foot cramps, which many people have.

Hydration, nutrition, stress, sleep and exercise can play a role in reducing both.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you @affected and @lgelb for your replies. May I add the cramping is predominately in my left foot and the pulsing seems to have ramped up in that area. This seems sinister to me. Please advise and then I will go on my merry way and leave you wonderful folks to yourselves. Thank you again.

You've asked and been advised. Your symptoms have nothing to do with ALS, in any shape or form. All the best to you and do take good care.

Is there a timeframe I should consider having my twitches re-evaluated by a neuro? I had seen a neuro probably 4 months ago who did strength and reflex testing. She saw nothing of concern and sent me on my way. Since the all over body twitching has continued, should I consider a follow up? I’ve noticed no other changes otherwise.

Thank you for following up with me.

George, you have asked this very same question already. Twitches mean squat, nada, zip, zilch. What is it about that that you find difficult to understand? When should you seek re-evaluation by a neuro? When you lose the ability to do things like stand on toes, go back on heels, cannot button up shirt, zip up pants, can't hold cutlery etc. It's when things fail (not feel weak) and weakness and atrophy are dected by clinical examination. That's when you should seek another appointment. Since you have none of these issues, why are you on an ALS forum?

Please try to be grateful for your health. You don't have ALS and that's a great thing.

Take good care.

Ok. Thank you @Bestfriends14 for nailing that point home. I am very grateful for my health and grateful for your wisdom as well. Have a beautiful day!

I have been doing Orange Theory for about 3 months now to get my mind right with the whole health anxiety/ALS battle I have been facing. My question is that my left side is weaker when I am lifting weights. I would think after three months that the weak side would build up, but I’m still weaker. And I’m now concerned it’s gotten weaker from when I first started? Is this cause for concern?

Please read this if you have not already done so:

Almost all people are asymmetrical. There may be mechanical reasons why you are less able to build strength on one side or in a given area. This has nothing to do with ALS. See a physical therapist if you’re concerned.

I had never heard of orange theory. I had to look it up.

Ggeorges, you might want to have an assessment by a physiotherapist. They can figure out what sort of exercises or corrections may be needed or if there is something other than structural, should there be concerned. It's very difficult for strangers on the internet to provide you with anything more than the most basic of information- particularly as you've been cleared by a neurologist.

So does being cleared by the neurologist almost 6 months ago still clear me of ALS now?

So does being cleared by the neurologist almost 6 months ago still clear me of ALS now?
Yes. Take care and put ALS behind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back