Diagnosis
12/2016
Country
US
State
Florida
City
West Melbourne
I have decided to get a PEG/PRG sooner than later. I can still eat but it takes me a long time and I get tired before I get full. I do have some things I cannot eat due to choking. I supplement with protein drinks so the weight loss has slowed down. I move next week to FL and had planned to schedule surgery once I get down there. We just scheduled a river cruise in Europe for late June. Now I am rethinking the schedule of the surgery as I may not have time to fully recover before the cruise. Just looking for input on full recovery time and the learning curve for the feeding tube.

Regards,
Bruce

It does vary, but if all goes well you should be fully recovered and an expert at using the tube within a week. Some people have 24 hours of pain, some have 3 - 5 days while all still being normal.

Remember that the better you are physically when you go in for the peg, the more likely you are to heal quickly and adapt to feedings.

What I mean is that if you have lost a lot of weight, are dehydrated, barely mobile and highly fatigued, you can expect the procedure to be harder to recover from.

Hope that helps :)

Bruce,
Aren't you going to be busy with the move? June is coming right up. Can you schedule it for after you return? I'd hate to have anything ruin your trip.
Have you established contact with Mayo or wherever you're going to clinic and getting the tube done?

HI Kim, I am kinda leaning that way but my wife is monitoring my eating/weight and has other ideas if I don't maintain :)). I am in between VA areas right now as TN knows I am moving next week and I haven't hooked up with the Tampa VA yet. I am leaning toward the Mayo though. I am still mobile and in pretty good shape in the big scheme of things so unless something changes in the next few weeks, I would prefer to wait.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce,
Aren't you going to be busy with the move? June is coming right up. Can you schedule it for after you return? I'd hate to have anything ruin your trip.
Have you established contact with Mayo or wherever you're going to clinic and getting the tube done?

How you doing Bruce? when I had my tube put in I was in the hospital about four hours, start to finish and that was it. No pain and the ALS nurse was at the house to show us how to treat and use it that evening. The only reason the nurse came really was to show us how to clean the wound daily, you will probably get slight bleeding around the peg that will require cleaning. This should not last too long and it will not stop you from taking your holiday. It is a very simple procedure and very easy to care for
Good luck and take your holiday
Al

HI Kim, I am kinda leaning that way but my wife is monitoring my eating/weight and has other ideas if I don't maintain :)). I am in between VA areas right now as TN knows I am moving next week and I haven't hooked up with the Tampa VA yet. I am leaning toward the Mayo though. I am still mobile and in pretty good shape in the big scheme of things so unless something changes in the next few weeks, I would prefer to wait.

Regards,
Bruce

I would think now is a very good time to start drinking full-fat milkshakes. Add a few tablespoons of coconut oil and, I bet, your weight will hold or increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back