Recommended Full Face Mask

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are there, Amazon and elsewhere as RemZzzs. You can make them for cheap from thin fabric, and we also used cheap skullcaps available on Amazon.

Yesterday I went the medical supply and was fitted for my first full face mask. Tried the F&P masks (Amara etc), but liked the way the Quattro fit my voluptuous face.

Last night was my debut with a full face mask. I freaking hated it, and just pulled it off at about 5am. Because of the weakened muscles in my lips, all of the air was pushed down my mouth, and I kept waking up with the worse case of dry mouth ever. I am gunna try it one more time with the humidity up a bit higher.

If I have the same result, I will take it back and get another nasal mask.

Just an observation, Alpine Medical marks everything up to double retail price. The walker I bought a while back for 190.00 off eBay was 399.00. All of the masks were double the on-line prices. They gouge the health ins companies and those who don't have ins.

BigMark, try Xylimelt tabs for the dry mouth.

Bigmark,

I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. I got a BiPAP and a full face mask and was sent home. I HATED IT. I tried, half-heartedly to use it... but why use something that was not a pleasure to wear. For the next too many years, I put my wife through the frustration of my snoring and the worrying associated with the fact that I'd stop breathing. I owned my own business and began to take power naps. They were 20 minutes long... but I felt like I'd slept a whole night. Eventually, I needed two of these a day. And ultimately, I'd fall asleep in my chair after each night's dinner. At some point, I said, "enough is enough" and decided that I'd wear that damned mask every night for 30 days before reevaluating what I'd do next. It was enough time to allow me to get used to it enough that I actually began to sleep at night. Not the restless, wake myself up snoring type of rest... but the dream in colors and have really awesome deep sleep dreams type of slumber. At the end of a month, I don't think that I liked that mask any more than earlier... but I did like the result. I no longer needed power naps during the day. I felt more mentally aware. And I didn't fall asleep in my chair anymore. But most wonderful was the fact that I slept so deeply and fully at night that I actually began to look forward to going to bed and sleeping. And could I dream!

I'm okay with the mask, now. In fact, I cannot sleep without a mask and BiPAP. A few years ago, Darcey and I went to see Joe Bonamassa in concert in Richmond. It is about an hour's drive from home. But we wanted to stay late after the concert and not be rushed to get back home. I brought my BiPAP... but forgot its power cord. Needless to say it was one of the longest and most unpleasant nights I've had in years.

I was grateful when Darcey took to her Trilogy and mask without reservation, problem or issue. She did get dry mouth... but the humidifier helped with that. I now sleep with a glass of water next to my bed. When I awake during the night, I take a sip of water before and after that potty trip. It doesn't eliminate the dry mouth... but it does help.

I do so wish you a speedy adjustment to your mask. You may never learn to like it... but given enough time you will learn to tolerate it. And once you do, the benefit will far outweigh any thought you had about pushing it aside. You've just got to get there. I look back...and for me and for my wife... I wish I'd bitten the bullet and just worn it years earlier than I did. I can't change that... but perhaps... JUST PERHAPS... I can help you or someone else believe that "the light at the end of the tunnel" really does exist... and that "there's gold at the end of that beautiful colored rainbow". Peace, my friend... and the best of luck and determination to you...

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back