Recommendations/suggestions for a hospital bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmilo

Distinguished member
Forum Supporter
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
PA
City
Zelienople
As the stairs become more difficult, I'm thinking about moving to a first floor bedroom. Any setup would require some expense (at least a new mattress, or an adjustable bed). During a couple of recent hospital stays I was impressed how comfortable the hospital beds were, and thought it made sense to just go that route initially.

A search of the forum showed some of the benefits (positional/height adjustment, clearance for a lift, etc.) but does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on a specific type or brand of bed, or specific features that are especially helpful? Or even suggestions on the selection process?

Thanks and best regards,
Bill

I have same questions as Bill on the bed, and also want to know how one goes about getting these things covered by Medicare. Thanks.

Google hospital bed reverse Trendelenburg (a great feature for urinal use for guys, breathing and pressure relief for all, but the reason you Google it is not all hospital beds have it) and you will see applicable beds. Medicare will pay part of it if you buy through a supplier in your network or in traditional Medicare (whichever is applicable), and get a doc's rx. If you are 6-feet+, get a 84" bed. Some online suppliers offer payment plans.

Besides full bed elevation for a lift/transfers, and "slant" for the Trendelenburg and reverse Trendelenburg, you will have independent head/foot control [standard for hospital beds]. So with the touch of a button, your body can assume about a 45 degree angle with your head above your feet or vice versa, your feet and/or head can go up/down, and these are independently controlled.

You may want to buy the default mattress or something fancier, but regardless you want medical grade foam at a minimum, and you can put a latex or air cell overlay on top. I prefer building your own for flexibility rather than getting something with all the layers glued together.

If you can't afford to chip in, Medicare pays for a more basic bed. Unless you are very petite, though, do not agree to a 75" version, and obviously power rather than manual cranking is a necessity for your CALS.

Not everyone agrees on the same setup, but for my husband, and many other PALS over the years, an alternating air mattress is an important item when you can't move position yourself.

Roho or memory foam are also good if you don't like the air movement. I found the alternating air the best, as my personal opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back