Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
Indiana
City
Greenfield
My PALS was diagnosed Oct 2006. His younger brother was diagnosed July 2011, and we lost him 2 months ago. What a nightmare.

I am very sorry FALS is indeed a nightmare. Are there children or other relatives at risk? The only good is that answers are coming. If there are relatives at risk it is worth trying to find the genetic defect if it is not already known.

No common gene was found for them. Also, the brother's best friend from childhood, who lives near us, was diagnosed a few months before the brother. We were told this "cluster" does not mean there is a common cause for all three cases. I do not want to know if anyone else is at risk unless it can be prevented. PALS has one other sibling, another brother, who I think is suffering from survivor's guilt.

So sorry! It's so sad!

If there was no common gene, does that mean it is a most highly unlikely case of two brothers having sporadic ALS? Maybe Nikki can answer that ...

I'm so sorry, it is awful.

Clusters are harder to identify than one may think.

About 10 or maybe a bit more years back a small town in this area had a high number of PALS diagnosed. Just as it was looking like a cluster that could be identified, no more were diagnosed, and years later still no more there. So it was just a coincidence that at one point in time there happened to be a lot in one town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back