AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience and to help support our community please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

Recently lost PALS brother

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosier

Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
Indiana
My PALS was diagnosed Oct 2006. His younger brother was diagnosed July 2011, and we lost him 2 months ago. What a nightmare.

Nikki J

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
I am very sorry FALS is indeed a nightmare. Are there children or other relatives at risk? The only good is that answers are coming. If there are relatives at risk it is worth trying to find the genetic defect if it is not already known.

Hoosier

Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
Indiana
No common gene was found for them. Also, the brother's best friend from childhood, who lives near us, was diagnosed a few months before the brother. We were told this "cluster" does not mean there is a common cause for all three cases. I do not want to know if anyone else is at risk unless it can be prevented. PALS has one other sibling, another brother, who I think is suffering from survivor's guilt.

soonerwife

Very helpful member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
Oklahoma
So sorry! It's so sad!

affected

Guru status reached
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
OZ
State
home
If there was no common gene, does that mean it is a most highly unlikely case of two brothers having sporadic ALS? Maybe Nikki can answer that ...

I'm so sorry, it is awful.

Clusters are harder to identify than one may think.

About 10 or maybe a bit more years back a small town in this area had a high number of PALS diagnosed. Just as it was looking like a cluster that could be identified, no more were diagnosed, and years later still no more there. So it was just a coincidence that at one point in time there happened to be a lot in one town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock