Recent gait change after long term twitching, strong pain in tibias anterior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinabe

Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
ME
City
Aroostook
I'm sorry to start a new thread.

I am 35 months into problems with widespread twitching and other issues.
I had an EMG 2 years ago, 11 months into the problem, which found no evidence of ALS.

I haven't been seen by the neurologist or even a GP for these issues since then. I have continued to have the body wide random twitching all this time...

Over the past month I have a change to my gait. I am high stepping on my left leg. I can still walk on my heels. I'm having a hard time walking though because of this gait change. Today I was unable to walk through a store, I had to leave. I am getting very strong sharp pain in my tibialias anterior muscle when walking any distance. I'm also having pain throughout that leg and in my lower back.

I'd like to think this is more of a sciatica problem, but I'm afraid that I am developing weakness in that leg and that full blown foot drop may be imminent. My relative who died of ALS started with foot drop.

I went to a walk in clinic today and they are referring me to PT, a Chiro and started imaging by ordering me an x-ray tomorrow.

Should I push to be sent back to the neurologist I saw? Is it likely that this could be a very slow progression toward ALS?

The gait change is what truly frightens me in all this.

Thank you for your time.

Honestly, let the doctors decide what to do as they are examining you.
Just like it wasn't ALS 2 years ago, there is no reason to think it is now.
I hope you let your doctors sort this, they have the knowledge and experience.

I decided in advance not to mention my concerns about ALS and to just let the process play out.

Thank you for the advice. I know that very rare slow progressing cases exist. I’m hoping I have a sciatica style nerve compression or some other disc issue.

The Neurologist I had do my EMG in December of 2019 has retired.

It may take me quite some time to get care. I’m in a remote area with low access to health care.

I have read of extremely rare cases of ALS Presentation that could take years to develop. That’s what my concern is about.

I have a very obvious gait change, and I simply can’t walk normally. Mere weeks ago I was walking 15-17k steps a day and working on my farm with no problems.

Now I can barely get to my mailbox and back, or get through a grocery store.

I’m very clearly taking high steps with that left leg, but my foot doesn’t appear to be dropped. I can still walk on heels, even hop up several stairs on just that one leg. My 8 year old daughter can stand on my feet and I can’t walk her around the room.

So I don’t understand what is happening. Obvious gait change, apparently not weakness in my tibialis anterior, although I’m having pain there. I’m also having calf pain and intermittent pain throughout that leg and my lower back.

In the past 48 hours I’ve started having a few sharp pains even in my right leg tibialis anterior.

I don’t think ALS progresses that quickly from limb to limb, and I thought pain was not an indicator until late stage.

I’m so confused, and I’ve started the process to see a physician, but it takes an inordinate amount of time here.

I’m so sorry to be a nuisance, I truly am. If this wasn’t a real functional change to where I can’t do what I once did, I wouldn’t even consider ALS. I have done so well since my EMG2 years ago in managing it.

While it may seem like people here may have all the answers, the only place you'll get real, actionable assistance is with a medical professional. I hope you are able to get an appointment soon to provide you some reassurance and relief. Please let us know how it goes.

You either think you have an extremely rare case of ALS taking years and years to develop without clinical changes.
OR
You think this is progressing so fast.
You don't need to answer this to justify, I'm just highlighting that.
Please, see a doctor, I know you say it is going to take time, but we can't add anything further.
There are groups and forums for people worried about their health, that might be a place to hang out while you wait if you need to keep talking this through.

Thank you and I do appreciate the time taken to respond. I have become very committed to supporting ALS research as a result of my experience both as someone who lost a relative to ALS and who has feared it myself.

Good luck to all and best wishes. If I get relevant test information I’ll report back to this thread if it remains unlocked.

I'm very sorry to hear about your sudden walking issues, but as you point out, they don't resemble ALS at all. Please be careful not to fall and get whatever assistance you can to avoid injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back