Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
MN
City
Mantorville
My daughter started with stiff calf muscle, inability to touch heel to ground and she trips frequently. She has had EMG on legs only, MRI of head and neck. She has over active reflexes much more pronounced in her legs. Dr at University of MN says 95% chance of ALS, with more certainty if she gets EMG in upper body and a spinal tap. She is 28 years old, no family history. We have an appointment at Mayo Clinic this week for a second opinion. What else can I suggest it could be? Had one test for Lymes, negative. She was on a beach in Mexico over a year ago and got bit on her legs by something, many small bites followed by infection. Anyone have any great ideas?

Make sure you take or send all records to Mayo. They will do another EMG and possibly more tests.
I hope you get a different opinion from Mayo. Please let us know.

Mayo Diagnosed me in 1 day with Full body EMG over Thanksgiving. We stayed at Kahler Grand that is attached to Mayo in MN!

Hugs, I am sorry your family is going through this. Please let us know how it goes at Mayo.

Sorry to hear about your daughter. How did the infection manifest and what treatment was provided?

Best,
Laurie

Bless your heart ,we went through several DR's trying to find answers. Keep doing research , there is always a chance of it being something else.My heart goes out to you , and your family.

So sorry to hear this. I am glad we were not labeled “probable” because it’s still limbo. Rest assured Mayo will pursue all Avenues and you can rest in their diagnosis. It DOES happen that it turns out something else on second opinion or with time so don’t stop hoping.Twenty eight, how harsh. My husband was 66.

So sorry to hear. It is a horrible fearful diagnosis.

Other possible conditions (all would be better than ALS) that mimic symptoms are:

Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyradiculoneuropathy
normal pressure hydrocephalus
Transverse myelitis
MECFS
Guillain-Barre syndrome
Lyme Disease
Zika Virus
Adult Polyglucosan Body Disease (APBD)
Lupus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back