Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
Philips announced this on Monday. I have attached FAQs (written more for suppliers) and the consumer letter. The problem is potentially unstable sound abatement foam. You can call your DME and ask about a different model, or the ResMed Astral. The Web site with patient information is here. The risk is greater if it's an older machine (the manufacture date can be found in settings), you have used UV or ozone cleaners, and/or your environment is hot or humid.

The potential symptoms listed are:

"The potential risks of particulate exposure include headache, irritation, inflammation, respiratory issues, and possible toxic and carcinogenic effects. The potential risks of chemical exposure due to off-gassing include headache, irritation, hypersensitivity, nausea/vomiting, and possible toxic and carcinogenic effects."

If a swap isn't practical, takeaways are, don't clean it with any ozone cleaners, consider an inline bacterial filter (you might need to adjust the pressure), and if you experience any symptoms that could be related to particulates or off-gassing, rethink. For a PALS, of course, there is a smaller margin of error when it comes to irritation and breathing. You should also get a letter about this at some point, but just a heads up.

Best,
Laurie

Attachments

• philips-recall-faqs-for-dme-hcp.pdf
    192.7 KB · Views: 170
  • FireShot Capture 028 - Integrated Medical Systems, Inc. - Showpad - integratedmedsys.showpad.com.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Thanks for posting this Igelb. I am pretty sure we have the Trilogy 100. I will call the DME provider first thing in the morning!

I do have a Trilogy 100. My PCP at the VA has encouraged me to switch to a Bipap (brand unknown) they would provide since they don't have the software to read the Trilogy cards (the contractor does and reports it) and could monitor one they would give me. I've delayed doing that but maybe it's time.

Ed

My DME says it is okay to use the Trilogy with a bacteria filter until the manufacturer makes the parts to fix the machine. We are in a rental stage so they will take care of registering the machine with Phillip's. Hope Phillip's and DME are right about all this.

Ed, most BiPAPs don't have a portable battery to go out with, so if you need that, make sure you get it. Also, there are other settings that a regular BiPAP doesn't offer. If you find out what model(s) they are offering, I could point out the differences.

This problem has been going on for a while -- just that the threshold of reports reached recall level. I don't want to minimize it, either, but it's not a reason to jump to an inferior machine.

hi very interesting to know. My dad just got a trilogy 100 rented by insurance will talk with our Dr. about what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back