00/0000
Country
UK
State
CL
City
Stockton-On-Tees
Hi all

I put a post on saturday as i had a twitch near my cheek that lasted for about 5 hours, it has not returned since, so i put it out of my head.

Howver last night (sunday) i was layed on the couch and happen to look down at my calf and it was twitching away like mad. It was twitching all the time non stop and when i showed my wife it kinda shocked her. Naturally after looking up twitching face on here i noticed that twitching in the calf is a symptom of ALS.

I am twitching in both calfs, but the right one is much much more noticible and i can feel it now as i type this. As for any cramping i did go in cramp 3 nights ago in bed but i do every now and then anyways but i guess the right calf does feel a little bit tighter than normal.

Like i say i am really sorry to start a new thread and i dont intend to keep asking a question every time something happens but to see this has freaked me out is a massive understatement. epecially when i lift my trousers up and look at my calf twitching away.

I feel sick with worry now and i have made an appointment to see my Doctor tonight but i have a feeling he may just dismiss this as he tends to be very dismissive.

I am 33 and i know that age is probably on my side but hell i am so worried.

I dont really know what i am asking here to be honest but my head is all over the place.

Thanks for taking your time to read this

Chris

Twitching by itself means nothing. Twitching with weakness could mean something but certainly doesn't mean you have ALS. Twitching with weakness and atrophy still doesn't mean you have ALS.

It's unfortunate that when people google muscle twitches, ALS predominates the hits. So many other things cause them, 99.9% of which are completely treatable or are in need of no treatment at all.

Calm yourself because what you are seeing isn't that uncommon. Your neuro will probably dismiss them, because he/she knows that it's most likely nothing serious. If you are going to obsess about it, ask for an EMG so you can have peace of mind.

Take care.

Hello Wright, maybe you've read my freaky symptoms. The are on the second page!
I have one question to you?
-Is it possible to have muscle stiffness in the right hip/calf 16-17 months ago with twitches(now they suddenly almost stopped all the body with no visible atrophy) clean EMG and left leg weakness which I noticed first 1 year ago but I has gone since last week(again appears) I feel my leg weightless not exactly weak because I passed 3-4 km with no weakness.
Also I have lower back pain, burning sensations in the entire back time to time....
I trying to make an appointment to the best ALS doc. here...

Hi all

Well i have come back from seeing my Doctor and to be honest am no further forward, he basically had a look at my calfes and guess what it was not doing it that much, but then it did twitch and he seen it. He said its probably because i am a nervous person and i guess i am.

He made me stretch my arms out fully and noticed that i have slight shake in one hand and deemed this to be because i am nervous and worry alot.

As for the twitching in both my calfs he said there is nothing really he can do apart from tell me to relax and stop worrying about things. He did however say that if its still doing it in 2 weeks time he will refer me to a Neuro but he really didnt seem concerned at all.

Could me worrying bout this really cause my calfes to twitch? anyways i thought id post back as you were all good enough to reply and help me out

chris

You could get all your potassium checked. I had low potassium and did get a nonstop twich in my calf. THe twitches I have now are not like the one I had then, but it did happen when I had low pot. So I would get a full work up and check out these things first.

take care

april

Thanks for all your advice, just a quick follow up question, i have noticed that my tiwnges happen even when i tense my calf muscles up, does this mean anything?

Thanks again

Chris

hi chris uk

i had fasic's in my left calf that has neurological weakness(hypotonia) and now atrophy in that foot/ankle.
a few weeks ago i have started with the fasic's in my right calf,today they were bad ,i am not too worried yet and think it may be down to too much pt.
twitching was one of my first symptoms but it was only after my diagnosed and joining the forum i learn't about fasic's.
in my mind there is twitching and fasic's,they are not the same thing.
fasic's are movement that can be seen under the skin like rippling or wriggling and i have found go up and down the calf,sometimes i can see flashing movement up and down or accross. they feel more tickley to me.
were as twitches are more random and are more like pings.
anyway my point is,i just let them get on with it and don't really stress about them.
i am soooooo over stressing about my symptoms,lifes too short.
i know its easier said than done,but try not to think about them all the time and see if they calm down.
take good care.
caroline:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back