Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
New York
Okay diagnosed officially with bulbar onset motor neuron disease. Which I think means there are different types? He has had difficulty with slurred speech that started a year ago(Now his speech is "airy" and slow, super "nasily") with problems swallowing. Had EMG that showed fasciculations in arm, hand, leg and foot.

For about the last six months he has struggled with memory, confusion, excessive anxiety. Anger fits almost. Lately (meaning the last 6 months or so) he has wanted to eat all the time. He chokes, bites his tongue or sides of mouth, and yet wants to eat more. I don't get it. Everything I've read says with this type of disease you start losing weight. He eats much slower and constantly "chokes" it down, but it doesn't seem to stop him. He's put on a few pounds in the last month.

My next question is... he is complaining of his eyes getting tired- and double vision. I don't think this is a symptom either, I was under the impression that vision is not compromised with this disease?

Lastly, his confusion seems to be getting worse. He has emotional lability and has been randomly crying, or getting agitated. Forgetting more names, places etc. His driving has become poor. Like he's slow now to put on the brakes, take off etc. He hasn't been sleeping and woke up last night choking. He hasn't done that before. Any help or experience would be great. Thank you

I have many of those symptoms myself, choking, weight gain, voice is getting worse, I started on a generic Zoloft and it made all the difference, I still drive OK, no problems with my eyes or confusion? Could be stress but I'm no doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back