Not open for further replies.

jackofalltrade

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
A healthy 38-year-old man with a history of Spondylitis who has been treated with NSAIDs and anti-inflammatory drugs for the past ten years.

Muscle twitching without movement began a few weeks ago in the left calf, back of the thigh, and left arm. Along with the muscle twitching, there was weakness in the knee-thigh-hip region. With the stiffness, walking became extremely difficult. NSAID 2400 (Duexis) has no effect on stiffness or walking ability. Never had experience something like this before.

Standing on both feet and walking can be difficult at times because the knee does not communicate with the upper body.

The random twitching spread to other parts of the body over the course of several weeks. Arms, face, neck, and lips that come and go at random. I also noticed a random jerking of the body.

Along with the previously mentioned symptoms, I began to experience jaw stiffness. A pain while chewing and a swallowing problem I sometimes feel like I can't swallow my own salvia and have random bouts of shortness of breath that come and go. A recent CT Scan of the chest shows everything is normal.

I told my doctor about it, and he referred me to a Neurologist. He did inquire about my family history of ALS and ordered some blood work. I have no history.

Needless to say, all of my blood tests (CBC, Chem, Vitamins, etc.) came back normal. There is no problem with sugar, cholesterol, or anything else.

The most important thing to note is that along with this condition, I developed Orthostatic Symptoms, which caused me to feel extremely lightheaded when walking. I understand that these are not ALS symptoms.

What do you all think?

Since I was unable to edit the thread one key information I wanted to post was:

- Noticed one leg felt heavy then the other one. The legs feel jelly type. The twitching is mainly on the left side. But one def feels heavier than the other one.

Hi there
You actually don't have any real symptoms of ALS which is great news.
I know that if you have been google surfing, you think you do, but in truth nothing you wrote made me think ALS.

Try reading really carefully here, we won't argue against what is in this post as we put a huge amount of time and effort into writing it so that we would have solid information for you.

Let your doctors keep following a diagnostic path, it is likely to be something that can be treated and see you returning to full health.

Your upcoming appointment with a neurologist should help you sort it all out. Meanwhile, make sure you cut out or cut back on caffeine, drink lots of water, get adequate sleep, and try to relax. I know, relaxing when you're anxious is easier said than done.

Feel free to report back after you've seen your neurologist.

Best wishes.

Super confused - I understand the symptoms I am describing may not sound like ALS, but something at neuromuscular junction is causing all these crazy symptoms.

I feel weak , twitch, joint stiffness in the knee and excessive salvia in the throat......So here is a key detail I forgot to include in my previous post.....A 1 week prior to ONSET of all these symptoms I had a EMG and Nerve test which show no myopathy or anything and it was complete normal..

Than a week later I am having all these twitches, stiffness in the hip , walking issue, excessive salvia etc.....Would EMG have picked something up if a test was done a week prior to the onset of symptoms?

Yes. I would work through with your internist.

Definitely the EMG would have shown disease process at that point.
We won't argue this, please understand we can't see you or examine you, and we are not doctors.
Work closely with your doctor, that is how you find the answers and a treatment path.
I truly wish you the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back