Reason
Other
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Trenton
well, I've been reading as an anonymous user past few weeks. most say that hey there's no muscle pain associated with ALS - at all. then others on here who are diagnosed say there is, they experience it. most say hey it doesn't spread that fast. some diagnosed say they have it all over the place in such short period of time.
C O N F U S E D!

secondly, I have twitch in my elbow, twitch in my knee. whenever I close arm as if I'm using a barbell motion and hold it, my elbow twitches. it twitches no matter what, but especially then. and there's a tightness, a cramped feeling in that elbow. now how can this been benign if when i tense the muscle or use it in a way it twitches - that seems like it's reacting. same with my knee - when too much pressure is applied, a few extra spasms are inevitable.

notice that in the one arm where the elbow twitches, there's a bigger dip than the other arm. and the skin over the muscle is more flaccid and soft and hangy (if you know what i mean) - skin and muscle more firm and less hangy skin on the arm that doesn't twitch yet.

and thirdly, some days are twitches LOTS. some days are only mild at best. how to explain this?

I would love some answers because I'm so confused and ya I'm 22 and just scared that this has hit me early... not going to say life is over and that's it. not at all. but still, i have a right to be worried.

i noticed twitch and muscle weakness and pain nearly a year ago. i didn't pay attention to it til like 3 months ago though when i was told by a friend that it could be MS or ALS.

thanks!

Ryan ... one of the reasons you're confused is because if you've been lurking on this forum, you are reading messages both from ALS patients, and from people who do not have ALS, but who post a range of symptoms here looking for answers. Another reason you're confused is because a lot of "information" on the internet is pure bs.

Twitches are not an important part of ALS. Check out benign fasciculations syndrome (there's a link on one of our stickies). Benign twitches are part of being human. Some benign twitches are caused by anxiety, some by chronically overstressing your muscles, and some for unknown reasons. "Benign" only means they won't kill you; it doesn't mean they don't exist.

In any case, what you have posted does not sound at all like ALS. If you're still worried, see a doctor and get some additional reassurance.

Take care.

Ryan,

Why do you think your twitching could be caused by ALS? As Beth has mentioned, there are many, many less harmful disorders and diseases that can and do cause twitching.

How about starting with letting your GP take a look at you? If you look at the top of the "Is This ALS" forum, you will find the stickie threads that Beth mentioned. You will find all sorts of information that is valid regarding twithces and criteria that must be met in order for a diagnosis of ALS.

The only way to know for certain is to be seen by your doctor.

Zaphoon

thanks guys

and to answer the only reason i think als or ms is because well i read because of toxins i think i may have been exposed it's a long story.
and the twitches started in my leg now they in arm. also the weakness, stiffness, tightness and sometimes pain associated.

but yeah i'm hoping something not deadly! so strong people to carry on with this and other stuff i hope i never get at an early age .

i'm seeing my doctor next week. i hope i'm okay.

Ryan,

When people say that ALS doesn't present with pain, they usually mean neuropathic pain, or pain that does not have a discernable cause. Muscle soreness can accompany weakening muscles.

That being said, as Beth and Zaphoon said, twitching is not exclusive to ALS, and is common in many situations. Benign Fasciculation Syndrome can also be associated with cramps and muscle soreness. Best of luck with your Dr. visit.

Take care,

Robert

thanks.

yeah my muscles are definitely sore and cramped.

and uh my right hand grip is not so good and seems less flexible and a really stiff feeling... it's weird.

i hope i'm okay!

still 1 question about the twitches!

some days really bad? other days hardly at all?

is this a pattern that is usually associated with ALS, or is this a good sign?

cause some days are out of this world, constant, at least every 5 minutes the whole day. other days ... a twitch session here and there, but not enough to really bother me at all.

?

would love to know!

I just dont think that there is an answer to that. You cant connect the twitching with als, you will only know with other sx that progress overtime or dont. You have to let the twitches go, they dont mean a thing if you dont have weakness or other serious issue's that go along with als. Ihave alot of twitching as well that have a unique pattern of all kinds and it wont give you any answers to focus on your twitching and patterns as to if that means als or not,it just wont and you should not waste your time trying to decifer your twitches in that way. I have been there and say that with alot of care and concern......

best wishes!

april

what about facial muscles?
all of a sudden it's hard for me to hold my face in certain ways - I smile and eventually my muscles feel like they can only take so much and they start to like twitch from the fatigue...

i know, sounds crazy. but it isn't. i'm telling you - any time i use a muscle in the face and hold it for no more than 5 seconds i have to give in - and i notice that the muscles beneath my lip look weird - hard to put in words, but it's noticeable - almost like a lump? - and my lips look bigger?

this is worrying me.
does facial muscles get affected early or later on?
I'm ignorant to all of this but need some information .
seeing doc, but in the meantime. anyone who's been thru it all.

thanks so much. i really appreciate the help (please understand i do so much)

ryan...If I was undiagnosed, the LAST place I would be looking is this forum or others like it as it would scare me too much....THE FIRST place I would be going is to a doctor...soon enough to look on this forum for its immense help...for if and when you get diagnosed. I WISH I did not need the help and support of this forum but I have been diagnosed...unfortunately.

ryan~

I have the SAME thing with the face muscle. If i scrunch up my nose and cheecks it will start to twitch or shake....my face is also thinner. You are not crazy. I still dont have answer for mine........

Ryan ... if you're doing unnatural things with your facial muscles (all of a sudden it's hard for me to hold my face in certain ways - I smile and eventually my muscles feel like they can only take so much and they start to like twitch from the fatigue...), no wonder your muscles are twitching.

What you're doing has NOTHING to do with ALS. Do you think people get ALS because they smile too long?

Your friend who told you you either had MS or ALS is either a) completely ignorant, or b) messing with your head. I hope you don't take any financial advice from him. His health advice is bad enough.

(Your lips are getting bigger? Do you think this is something like reverse atrophy?)

Agreed Beth, what you would describe would be HYPERTROPHY... And is surely not an als symptom.. Many people would love the lips to get larger. That could be a good money maker.

for a norm situation

would a muscle twitches caused by ALS would come and go?

like if a part of muscle started twitch by ALS...does it ever stop before the muscle is completely atrophied?

thanks and best wishes
bryan

IF you have ALS and your muscles twitch they usually twitch until the muscle is shot. If your muscles twitch sometimes and quit then you probably have something else.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back