Status
Not open for further replies.
Flora- why would we want you to shut up? Your posts are warm and funny and I always enjoy reading you. Who else could make a joke out of swallowing problems and choking troubles? Which, not to scare you, could be exlpained when you go to the clinic. That appointment must be coming up soon, right? Please check in with us after wards, no matter what they say. Hugs, Cindy

You guys are so awsome! My appt. is on the 20th yeaaaahhhh. Can't wait to get this over with. Today I have to do something much scarier than the doc. I have to go to the mall and find a formal gown and a bathing suit for a cruise my friends are taking me on. I went yesterday and looked like a pot belly pig stuffed into a scrap of silk. So today I get to do it all over again....maybe if I ate a model first it would make me feel better (not that I am bitter you understand). Wish me luck with the dress. YUCK!

Flora, I am so glad to hear that your friends are taking you on a cruise! Are you taking your sister with you, or is it just you and your friends? When and where are you guys going? That is nice! God bless you all!

Irma

It's just me and my friends. My sister can't go, she has a shunt in her brain and 17 bolts holding her head on. She has alot of brain damage and the frontal lobe of her brain is dead. So no cruises for her. We are going to Mexico for 5 days. I have never been on a cruise before. I am very excited but also a little nervous. I hope I don't get sick.

flexibility and drooling :)

Hi Flora,

You are a funny one. It is nice to laugh a little, and it seems to be the best medicine, so thank you.

I do remember reading a post that said that saliva increase can be associated with ALS, because I believe people get botox shots to deal with it. Make sure you talk to your doc about it.

Does anyone have substancially decreased flexibility? Mine is really bad and I have always been a very flexible person too, so I am wondering if that is MDN, ALS, MS, Lyme, or anything other than getting old (I am your age, so I'd like to think I am not that old). You are the first person I have heard mention it, but mine is really, really noticable and i am not sure if it is because I am less active or what. I have the same thing happen when I do stairs..I cramp like crazy and I actually usually like to hop onto my knees QUICKLY to get off my calves.

And I also wanted to tell you that I think many of us have those type of vibration like twitches that are less noticable but drive you crazier than you already are.

The 20th is coming right up, so I hope you get good news :)

Last but not least...I have had tattoos (and had them removed), and I have also had an EMG. The EMG is NOTHING compared to a tattoo! So, don't worry a bit.

Best of luck to you!

Hi Flora,
I am a speech pathologist and i would say, yes you should tell your practitioner about this new symptom. The things you are describing choking on are all thin liquids, which is a common consistency to have difficulty with. Each individual is different , but a good starting point for you to help deal with this is to tuck your chin toward your chest when you swallow the liquids. This closes off the airway a little more and makes it safer. Also stick with small sips. If you are still having difficulty with the liquids, you may need to begin thickening your drinks just a tad with a product like Thicken-Up or Thick-It, which is basically modified corn starch. A lot of pharmacies carry it and it has chart on the back of the can for mixing ratios. You probably don't need much, just thickening to "nectar" consistency helps a lot of people.
Hope this helps!

Thanyou everybody for your help!

flora,
how did your appt go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back