Diagnosis
10/2003
Country
CA
State
On
City
NW of Toronto
Thanks Al - just what I needed. Had results off the Doctors today. Struggling to understand them to be honest.

Thanks Al for posting this. Maybe this will ease the mind of the members who think they have als, but have had normal EMG's.

yes

Al what a good site...esp for those that already have diagnosed of something but keep focusing in als....you have made other people feel better...thanks jenny

Cindy....I tried to PM you....

PS I used the wrong screen name for you. Tried to delete this post, but couldn't!

No....once you've been diagnosed with a neuromuscular disease that mimics als and have had a positive emg with characteristics that are included in an emg with als, then the worry never goes away, though I count my blessings everyday that I do not have als and myopathy instead. My neuromuscular disease, which has many of the same symptoms as als, showed continuous polys on the emg, which are mentioned in this article. But, if you have a diagnosis of something that isn't even neuromuscular, than you probably wouldn't be here at all! I think others on here who have neuromuscular diseases, but have not been told it is als can agree. But, for those who have had normal emg and only twitch, this could really clear their minds! So thanks again for the info Al.

I am a very slow learner..are all als twitching visable?

I am a very slow learner..are all als twitching visable?

From my vast experience, my twitching (or, Fasciculations) are always felt, and normally visible, but I can feel some twitching deep in my calf that I cannot see.

From my vast experience, my twitching (or, Fasciculations) are always felt, and normally visible, but I can feel some twitching deep in my calf that I cannot see.

I have some that are quite visible, but not felt at all, some that are visible and are felt. I also have the vibrations (or purring as lovelily described it once) that can't be seen, but if my hand is doing it, and I'm holding onto a glass with a drink in it, one can see the surface of that moving, especially if there are icecubes.

Just for fun, here are two YouTube videos of me. I made them for my neurologist at her request as she wanted to see, and I couldn't figure out how to compress and email. As I've made a point of telling others on here, my kids think it is very cool that mom got on YouTube with no technical support from them! :cool:

Ignore any background noise. None of it originates from me...

this one is of the inside of my leg, between calf and ankle

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

this one is my thumb (obviously) hand is relaxed, any movement is involuntary

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

thanks Pdaddy, that's how mine are deep in the muscle...very few are seen.

I wish the only symptom I had was muscle twitching (fasciculations). I feel and see them anywhere from calves to abdomen to shoulders. Its the spreading weakness in my arms and legs along with the spasticity I'm wanting an answer for.

Zaphoon~

I agree with you. I wish it was only twitching.........

I have some that are quite visible, but not felt at all, some that are visible and are felt. ... this one is of the inside of my leg, between calf and ankle

Thanks for posting those. Your leg twitches look like my arm twitches, except mine are a little quieter and go from my shoulder to the hand, and in the lower part of my arm, the muscles all around are twitching. Don't feel the ones in my arm, but do feel the shoulder ones.

Got a glimpse of the outside of my lower arm in a mirror a couple days ago, and my jaw dropped. It looked like half my arm was gone! I think perhaps the lighting made the shadows more obvious, or I just had not looked in a mirror at the outside of my arm for a long time.

The atrophy seems to be moving faster than the weakness, which I don't understand, but I assume that's the weird way it works in my case. My left hand is def. weaker than the right, but I can still use it and even pick things up. My hand does get tired when typing.

I am extremely grateful that I am functioning as well as I am. I keep reminding myself that in six months, I'll probably look back and think, "those were the good old days." My speech is almost gone ... people can't distinguish my vowel sounds now ... A sounds like E. I'm getting pretty impatient for my DynaVox!

BethU

rose,

great shots on youtube! Mine are mainly in my chin and my left upper arm. Occasionally I will feel some in other places, but I don't really pay attention to them.

If I had the nerve to wear sleeveless shirts, they would probably be very obvious in my left arm. Thankfully I have those granny arms and don't even go sleeveless at home!

Never give up,
Never let up,
Never lose faith,
brenda

Beth and Brenda,

Ah yes, just call me a cyber techie whiz LOL. Seriously, You Tube wasn't difficult at all.... as far as the fasciculations, I get the slower not nearly so violent ones in my face and various other places. Who knows where all, because unless they're impossible to ignore, I do just that, ignore them. (Something was twitching on the BACK of my head last night while I was trying to go to sleep and it was driving me batty!) Yeah, the back of my arm jumps a lot. Sometimes so much I can barely type, its like trying to write while going down a bumpy road..... The ones that are stronger seem to have no bearing on whether they're occurring in what I perceive to be the weaker areas. I don't think there is a correlation, and in fact had asked Wright about that, and he said that the research articles he read said that they do not feel the amount or severity of the twitches are a measurement of progression..... and about those upper arms ...:mrgreen: when my daughter and I had our portrait photo taken together this past May, I said to her that she needed to wear something sleeveless to show off her arms, because one day she'd treasure the picture for that, if for no other reason :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back