Status
Not open for further replies.
And we could all be there together,Vince.
Great views.
No more feeling like a burden
Sounds pretty good to me.

Can we have a pool?

Absolutely we would have a pool and a spa and a sauna and a hot tub....it would be really cool for us all to be together. Even if we could go every other month then surely our CALS would not be as burdened.

Vince

I actually discussed going halves on a house with another PALS so we could share expenses, have a nice heated pool and only need one van. She's a lawyer and I'm a CPA so we could do all the legal and financial agreements ourselves. Neither of us have children or spouses.

I've looked at the Gleason house and another ALS facility in Boston but Florida is my home, I love the warm weather, and I have friends here.

Kim I think that's a great idea. Are your progressions similar?

Vince

We both seem to be progressing slowly but that can change. I never thought my retirement would look like this but I'm so glad I quit working when I did. She is still working but will retire in November.

Kim, I think that would be great for you and your friend. Splitting expenses, sharing a caregiver and other items, and having a companion who understands. it's worth pursuing.

Kim, I agree that this would be good for you. I hate that you are dealing with this disease alone. Keep us posted as to your decision.

Hugs,
Deb

Sounds like a win-win to me, Kim.

I'm sorry I'm keeping this thread going but I feel like it is the only safe place to express how I feel. I've ALWAYS been an optimist and seen the glass half full. I continue trying to live every day in the most positive way possible. I guess maybe I should start a blog.

My ex-husband's mother has e-mailed me twice this week "promoting him." By this I mean telling me how he will be there for me when I need him and praising him. A couple of years ago, she set up a trust and wanted me to be trustee. She did it so her son wouldn't piss away his inheritance. I refused to be trustee and suggested she appoint her daughter, who is only a year older than my ex-husband. He is 63 and his mother is 90 and in excellent health.

The last time my ex-husband was sniffing around I told him that I had set up a trust for myself. He wanted to know why. I told him so I could specify who could control my money if I were unable to do so myself. Now his mother, who lives in a different state, is e-mailing me with an agenda. I did not tell her that he said "You brought ALS on yourself" because nobody in their right mind would believe it and I didn't want to get into it with her.

Honestly, the continued interest in my money from various people, related and unrelated, is really getting to me. It's not like I'm squandering my nest egg. I haven't even touched my savings or retirement payout! I've been living on the money in my checking account, SSDI, LTD, and a small dividend I get monthly. I know this will change but if I want to spend $10k on a couple nice vacations, I certainly will. I've even been questioned about spending too much money on organic food! These same people have no problem bellying up to my table and sharing it....LOL One friend eats out at least once a day, sometimes twice. She said she couldn't afford organic food. I eat out once or twice a month and that is why I can afford organic food. She keeps warning me I need to get used to living on less now that I'm "retired." She heard my niece tell me I should leave my money to the church or to whoever helps take care of me. Now I'm actually laughing at the absurdity of my post. It sounds like it was written by a a paranoid lunatic.

At any rate, I'm going to order some tenderloin pork roasts online from Organic Prairie. :lol:

Hope you all have a good week.

Kim,

You sound like a very strong, intelligent woman who knows what is best for you. No one can control you unless you let them. I don't know why anyone would bring up your money to you, and what you should do with it. That is none of their business. Take your trips and enjoy yourself.

Hugs,
Deb

Kim... First, hugs. Second, repeat after me... Not my monkeys, not my circus. Spend your money on what you want and your time on who you want. Next time she calls mutter "monkeys, circus" until she goes away.

You don't have to, but I hope I made you laugh.

You made me laugh HARD. A couple of years back a friend of mine who is a clinical psychologist said that he thought I was curator of the Island of Misfit Toys! Everyone with any type of problem came to me for an answer. I've honestly tried to jump off this train for the past year and, I think, that might be why I'm renting a cabin for a few weeks very far away from here.

I have to claim this time as my time. Thank you ALL for letting me vent on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back