Range of Motion Exercises-Advice Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katalin

Distinguished member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
05/2018
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
Hello,

Something that's really worrying me is range of motion exercises. We went months with my 87 year old mother being bed-bound before I realized we needed to push for a PT to asses. We got a simple group of exercises last month, so that's good (I hope!).

I do have some ROM exercises I do with her 5 times a week, but I've notice her right leg is rotated out toward the right side of the bed (toes pointed toward the right, instead of straight up toward the ceiling). When I try to gently position that leg so the toes are pointed up to the ceiling when doing the ankle exercises, but it's a bit hard on her knee. If I release the foot, it flops to the right again. I tried propping up the outside of the leg with a super soft pillow today, but it was ineffective.

Do you CALs wedge or use pillows against legs to keep them straight? Is this something I should be worried about?

The OT suggested I put one knee up on the mattress to do the leg-from-resting-to-chest, to support my back, and I think it's helping. Any other suggestions for protecting my back when tending to my Mum?

Many thanks if anyone has some suggestions.

Best,
Kat

Thanks for that Greg! I'll be printing it out...it's exACTly what I need: and there's a few there that I haven't seen. She's pretty mobile in the upper body, but she's progressing there too. Guessing it's easier to do the upper body exercises in the wheelchair. Do you do the lower body exercises in bed? Can't picture those in a WC.

Using the elevated feet feature as a platform, it is very possible to do lower ROM and massage in a power wheelchair. For those who can turn/be turned on their sides, of course, that position is only going to work in bed.

Yes, that list is really good, Karen. I used some of them today, and Mum said she felt some stretches in places she hadn't been aware of. Say hello to your hamstrings, Mum! She's lying prone for these, and they are exactly right.

And Chally's videos are great, (and funny).

Our OT's shorter list of ROM exercises specified 20 reps. The list notes 10 reps, which actually seems very reasonable. Any thoughts on number of reps? 20 is kind of hard on *my* back. :-/

and thanks all for replying!

Last edited:
I would say more like 10. The idea is to do more muscles/joints, not more reps. And go slow -- it's static, not ballistic stretching.

THANKS Laurie...ten...this is the kind of advice I need! I watch her face...I have occassionally elicited a yelp when I went too far (bad). Now I'm always checking in with her as we go. She's getting better at articulating her comfort level. Feeling much better about the ROM exercises. :)

Last edited:
You must be very careful. I've hurt myself in two different places "going too far."

Make sure you warm up the muscles and joints (I use heating pads) before ROM.

Thanks Kim. That's a good suggestion. It must have been awful to have a ROM exercise go too far. Mum is finally getting the knack for telling me as we get close to the outer range. I'll be careful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back