08/2014
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Bellingham
Some random thoughts. . .

I notice that I seem to have some control over fasciculations in my legs by re-positioning them - sitting up rather than reclining - which makes me wonder if their positioning causes different stress on my spine ? Also, I know that after a night's sleep in the usual sleep position my thighs will be screaming in the morning as I take my first dozen steps!

I also notice that I can often minimize fasciculations - albeit temporarily - by rubbing the affected areas with cocoanut oil. Perhaps other oils may work as well.

I wonder if anyone has seen and/or reviewed the new ALS movie starring Hillary Swank (She grew up here in Bellingham, by the way) titled "You Are Not You" ? I don't think I particularly want to see it because it hits so close to home, of course.

I have started using coconut oil and rubbing it into my husbands legs, he says it feels good and helps.
Love Gem

Loved living in Bellingham. Used to sail there. Graduated WWU. I'd go back there, except I'm certain I would bump into my in-laws at Billy McHale's quite often, and I suspect they don't want to see me after Krissy's death. Otherwise, lots of good memories on the Bay.

Dr Google says the coconut oil can reduce fasciculations. Plus, I'm all in favor of massage.

i have seen. you,er not you, it was so hard seeing it. it hits right at home

One of my docs at VA recommends 3 tablespoons of cocoanut oil a day. Something about ketones. I have a jar right here beside me, and take it when I think of it. It's also good against halitosis, per one dentist interviewed on tv.

Another random thought -- I don't see the proper name for ALS denoted anywhere on this site's main page. . .

Proper name as in ALS and/or MND spelled out ..? True. Same thing over on ALS TDI.

>Proper name as in ALS and/or MND spelled out

who cares? Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis = atrophy of muscles due to hardening of the nerves running down the spine ... wbbs!

------ haven't learned much since 1881 :-(

by 1881, from French, first word from Greek a-, privative prefix, + mys, myos "muscle" (see muscle (n.)) + trophikos "feeding," from trophe "nourishment" (see -trophy ). Often known in U.S. as Lou Gehrig's disease, after the New York Yankees baseball player (1903-1941) who was diagnosed with it in 1939.
------

More Random Thoughts. . .

My friend just got back from Cooperstown, N.Y. where he saw Lou Gehrig's personal display that included the note from his doctor informing the Yankees that Lou had ALS and could no longer play for them. He took a picture of it for me, he said.

I see that NFL player Tim Shaw (Tenn. Titans?) has ALS and will be featured on the 700 Club Tues.

dame they framed his waking papers. i gave mine to jane an told her do what ever. but it's not good holding on to bad things of the past.

>it's not good holding on to bad things of the past.

Ditto that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back