Radicava question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Lisa. I agree with Nikki's comment about starting with a peripheral IV so you can see if you have any bad side effects from Radicava, but once that is established, I also agree with the folks who said that a port is easier to manage. The process of having the port placed was very easy, with very minimal discomfort. My port is accessed at the start of an infusion cycle, with a needle change half-way through. While the port is accessed, I use a 6x8 Tegaderm dressing to cover the port dressing for showering. My CALS has to help apply it, but it does a pretty good job of keeping the dressing dry. You do not want to get the dressing/needle/port wet.
Best regards,
Bill

I just started with a peripheral today, hoping to get the port if all goes well and able to schedule the procedure. I'll keep ya posted on what happens.

That's good to hear Mike. I'm waiting for Radicava delevery than will start my infusion, with peripheral line also. I hope all goes well with yours. They are starting to do elective surgeries again so I'm hoping to have no complications with the first round and be able to have a port placed.

Well here it is May 30th and I'm still waiting to start my Radicava. This has been a definite merry go round navigating Medicare and my private insurance. I had set up private nursing to do the infusions. The nurse came out and explained everything. She said I had great veins but recommended a pic line since a peripheral line would need to be changed every 72 hours. So I called my neuro to get an order for one. At this time I was also getting outside PT. The nurse called me to tell me that Medicare would not cover home nursing if I was getting outside PT. The logic was if I was mobile enough to go for PT I was mobile enough to go to an infusion center. That was problem #1.

Problem #2, I received a letter from my secondary insurance that they approved the drug and was given a phone # to call and order the drug. So,I called to place the order to be told their pharmacy doesn't carry the drug ☹ why tell me to order it then??? They put me in touch with another pharmacy that I could receive it from only to be told that I would have a $200.00 copay because they were out of network. We later learned that if I went to an infusion center I was covered 100%. Again back to the drawing board to change everything to go to the infusion center. Paperwork all over again. I received a call from searchlight that I was approved for the drug at 100% and the order was sent to my local hospital for the pic line. Now I have to call on Monday to set up an appointment. Keep 🤞that everything goes off without a hitch.

Hi, Lisa. In your situation, I'm afraid I would be tempted to say a bad word. 🤬

At least it sounds like you are on a path to be able to get the drug, through a pic line, at an infusion center. (Or in the Library with the lead pipe.) 😏

Fingers are crossed!

Regards,
Bill

Lisa, I had searchlight assist with my infusion until I went on Medicare at which time I had to switch to Health Wellness Foundation to assist with the cost of Radicava.

Strength and hugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back