Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
This is in response to the closure of a thread due to a complaint it contained several jokes that were racist in nature.

I am going to be straight- I can not abide by racist jokes. A white person using stereotypes about black bodies as a punchline for a joke about sex is not appropriate. Particularly on a forum that has visitors from around the world- the vast majority of whom are in need of support for a terminal disease. By making jokes based on racial stereotypes, it's indicating to people who do not have white skin that their bodies and their dignity is subject to hilarity and can be used as something for everyone to laugh at however they may personally feel about it. In particular, humour about black people's sexuality and worn stereotypes about their bodies- including genital size- has a history rooted in a very troublesome, racist and violent past, where black folk did not have ownership over their own bodies or futures, and whose value was dependent on physical abilities and attributes. Not funny.

I do not think someone with ALS, who also happens to be a person of colour, should have to be an unwitting and unwilling witness and recipient of such humour. I'm not sure what type of wording in a thread title would be an appropriate warning for that. Perhaps ask yourself, if a person whose race was the punchline of a joke you just told asked you to explain exactly why it was funny, would you feel confident you could explain why your joke was not racist? This is not about all your friends who are (insert race/nationality/religion here) and who politely laugh at your jokes- this is about the dignity and needs of people who actually come here seeking help and support for their or their loved one's ALS and encounter "Black guys have big penises. Hilarious!" jokes.

I have zero issue with raunchy jokes. I have been known to tell a few myself. I do think it's important to let folks know if a thread contains adult content before they open what they think is going to be something lighthearted and funny. We do have minors who visit the forum and other people who find this type of humour distasteful and should be given the chance to not read. It's courteous to warn. However, jokes utilizing racist stereotypes creates a forum where many people would feel unwelcome, uncomfortable and unable to post their questions or ask for help.

Thank you for this post. I too have zero tolerance for racism and would leave this forum if it was endorsed in any way. Same would apply to any form of intolerance against any ethnic, religious, or cultural groups, or pertaining to gender identity or sexual orientation.

Add me to the list of folks with zero tolerance for such "jokes".

I appreciate all the work the moderators do to keep this site free of unwanted stuff.

Steve

I went back and found the thread that was labled as racist. When I first read it, I didn't interpret it as racist because I was looking at it from a different angle. It did not occur to me that the Jamaican man in the joke was black — naiveté on my part.

Maybe not recognizing racism is, in fact, a form of racism. If so, I apologize.

I also apologize. I didn't think of it being racist. Maybe I incorrectly read the first post.

I absolutely agree that we should never tolerate disparaging comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, or culture.

Thank you for posting this, Fiona.

Edited... had to move it

Last edited:
It should have read, “A dumb blond guy and a hot hunk from Jamaica walked into the men’s room.”

There, now that’s a more interesting start and already implies humor. Unless you’re a blond.

I re-read it and the guy from Jamaica was contrasted with a "white guy."

I honestly didn't even think about it and, at first, didn't see it as being racist. I was wrong. I screwed up when I posted. I was thinking about another similar joke about a guy who lived in Tennessee. Suffice to say I need to read things more thoroughly before I jump on the bandwagon.

Al, I think you just wanted to make us laugh.

Can we just leave it at that and carry on.

It should have read, “A dumb blond guy and a hot hunk from Jamaica walked into the men’s room.”

There, now that’s a more interesting start and already implies humor. Unless you’re a blond.

I was the "dumb blonde" in all my early jobs in banking. I was judged by my looks (back when I actually had looks :razz:) So I understand stereotyping. I also dated a black guy who was an officer in the Air Force. This was many years ago when it wasn't all that common, especially in my small rural village. We once went to the movies, he was in uniform, and someone spit on him. I'll never forget that.

How does anyone know the guy from Jamaica was black?

What if the guy was Mexican? And... I'd bet if it was a Jamaican or a Mexican the length of the tatoo would be taken with a smile.

PS. Don't go to any local comedy clubs or watch any cable TV comedy shows.

Come on people. Get off your righteous soap boxes.

Turn your righteousness to current voter suppression, jerrymandering, voter ID laws, police brutality that offend Blacks far more than that joke ever would... if the guy was Black.

Last edited:
I do not think AL meant this racist period. He was worried about sexual content.

Moderation by throwing a tantrum and over explaining stuff is not needed in any forum. Nikii handled it perfectly, maybe some need to follow the leader more.

I am not a racist and am of average intelligence and want to be treated as such.

Ok, here's racism in reverse probably few people have noticed.

TV commercials... the professor, the cop, the judge, the teacher, the smarter student, the wise buyer for the most part are Black.

The dumb student, the criminal, the defendant, the stumbling student, the baffoon, the clueless buyer will always be a white middle aged man, women, student or child.

Is that racist?

Ok... chances are good the guy was Black. Now I wish I wrote him in as a Mexican.

No one here would have been offended. If that's the real reason this got spun off into being a racist joke. I think it was something else.

"Welcome to Mexico... have a nice day!" Geeze. :)

Last edited:
I feel we live in a very sensitive world. Humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back