Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
OZ
State
AU
City
lala land
Nikki can you ask David if it is possible to have the Quote button disabled or hidden?

I know the reason we ask people not to use it, I'm not questioning that at all. But posters are being shot down constantly for using a tool that is right there asking to be used. It is commonly used in all other forums. There is a sticky that says don't use it, but most new members haven't seen that.

Instead they post, and then get publicly slapped on the wrist. Just seems a bit daunting to me, I cringe every time I see a post with a quote followed by a mod saying don't do that. Kind of makes people apprehensive which should not be the climate here.

If we don't want an obvious tool used, should it be removed instead?

It is commonly used in all other forums.

And it should be common to only use quotes to pinpoint one sentence and answer to that, instead of quoting huge posts in its entirety. If it weren't for those redundant scrolling exercises are they still a hindrance to many users with different interfaces?

It's also hard to use the quotes properly when your hands are compromised.

Maybe the quote button could be changed to a laugh button or a like button. Since we thought about that, but it’s too hard to navigate like FB does it, maybe repurpose buttons that are already there?

yep Kim and lots of quotes I notice the person attempts to remove some bits but just ends up wrecking the code and it doesn't work as a quote.

Sue, love it but oh no, then we would go 'like' and it would quote everything we liked! :lol: just kidding

Repurposing is not so easy because these forums as like a kit home - the quote button is a default feature. Repurposing it would mean knowing coding and going right into the background. I don't know that you can even disable the quote button, I have set up and run similar forums but never looked at this as usually it is a feature that is kept.

I sure don't want to start a controversy, I just think slapping people's wrists daily is getting a bit old when the feature begs to be used.

Without access to the admin control panel, I am guessing the Quote function cannot be completely turned off. Notice that there is a checkbox to 'quote the message' built into the quick reply box in addition to the Reply with Quote and Multi-Quote links. I went through an exercise like this with a Project Management web application we used. Turning off some of the access to a function was easy. Turning it all the access off, was damn hard to near impossible.

However, I have to agree with Tillie. It does get old seeing people chastised for using it.

Dave

Dave I was asking Nikki to approach David about it as David is the owner of the forum and has full administrator access to the back end :)

Not sure if David can remove completely. A change in tack can absolutely be made. People can definitely be asked privately to keep the quoting to a minimum if they are overly enthusiastic with it so there is no sense of public embarrassment.

I usually just edit the post and remove the quote if there's no purpose to it, or cut it way down and leave the pertinent bit only. will accompany with a pm explaining why from now on.

Are all the RULES for interaction posted somewhere? It would be nice to know what's "forbidden" in advance, then one wouldn't do it. (Thanks, "Affected" Tillie, I didn't know about it. Boy, am I glad I never clicked on one!) A "cut and paste"notice could be sent to all new posters: " BEWARE: Using the 'quote tabs' may cause your device to catch on fire and blow up!". That might take care of it.

Who is Dave who "owns" the forum? I thought it was ALS Association. B.

The forum is privately owned - it was started by a PALS and his dear friend David took over maintaining it some years back.

There is a sticky somewhere that says not to quote :)

Is it possible to post a caution each time someone uses the quote option? Like: Do you really want to quote? Yes/no

I started quoting in the beginning and was glad to be warned that it is hard on PALS that are "eye gazers" etc. Anyone who takes offense to the warnings has not experienced the thing called ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back