Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Nc
City
Stedman
I have had twitches for about three weeks now predominately in my right leg( a fee spread out other places) I also feel that my leg specifically the calf and hamstring are getting weaker and my calf is noticabley smaller than the other as well as softer when I flex it.

I had a neurology appointment today and he did the normal quick exam testing my reflexes strengh etc. an he's ordered an emg and blood work for three weeks from now even though he told me my neuro exam was completely normal.

My question is if there was atrophy would he have found weakness?

Thank you for your time and opinions,

read the STICKIES, if you've not already done so.

#1 - Read the **** STICKIES **** all is revealed there. 99.9% of your questions will be answered in the stickies.

#2 if you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your PCP and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND experienced!

#3 We are not doctors or diagnosticians, but people who are dying from or caring for ALS people who often type w/ 1 finger or their eyes, etc., so replying to anxiety-ridden hypo's is a pita.

#4 an EMG, properly done, is the gold standard test for ALS. But also, an abnormal EMG can indicate HUNDREDS of other, non-fatal, diseases. So listen to your doctor.

#5 ALS does NOT present with pain, cramps, or fatigue. In ALS, you feel perfectly normal but your muscles simply won't work. Typically, the first sign of ALS is a foot or a hand that inexplicably just won't lift up. It doesn't hurt or feel weak, it just is limp. That is paralysis.

#6 Your doctor is wise to look at other diseases. ALS is rare. In order for it to be ALS, it has to be nothing else.

-----
Max - Wednesday, August 06, 2014 5:35:04 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

#1 - Read the **** STICKIES **** all is revealed there. 99.9% of your questions will be answered in the stickies.

#2 if you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your PCP and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND experienced!

#3 We are not doctors or diagnosticians, but people who are dying from or caring for ALS people who often type w/ 1 finger or their eyes, etc., so replying to anxiety-ridden hypo's is a pita.

#4 an EMG, properly done, is the gold standard test for ALS. But also, an abnormal EMG can indicate HUNDREDS of other, non-fatal, diseases. So listen to your doctor.

#5 ALS does NOT present with pain, cramps, or fatigue. In ALS, you feel perfectly normal but your muscles simply won't work. Typically, the first sign of ALS is a foot or a hand that inexplicably just won't lift up. It doesn't hurt or feel weak, it just is limp. That is paralysis.

#6 Your doctor is wise to look at other diseases. ALS is rare. In order for it to be ALS, it has to be nothing else.

-----
Max - Wednesday, August 06, 2014 5:35:04 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Yes, sir I have read the stickies. I apologize as we posted at the same time. I apologize. And thank you for your response and explanation.

you bet ... here is the revised key:

#7 Anxiety is what leads many folks here and it is a self-fueling fire. Try to avoid using google and/or this form if you can.

FWIW & IIWII ...

NRYANH94: If you're still here, nothing you posted sounds like ALS. If your neuro found no clinical weakness, I doubt he'll find anything on EMG, either. Keep the appointment. But I wouldn't worry about ALS if I were you.

Twitching is so common and comes from so many common causes, twitches by themselves are not diagnostic of anything.

ALS is about failing, not feeling, so forget the "feeling" symptoms.

You were given a clinical exam by a neuro who found everything to be normal. That's good. Go ahead and complete the EMG and blood work, but I don't hear anything that indicates ALS or anything to worry about.

Thank you all so much for your time and efforts in answering my questions. I genuinely appreciate it as I know all of you have much more important things that you could do rather than answer mine and others questions on this forum.

However, I do have one last question. I have read time and time again (in the stickies, on this forum, on other sites such as webmd) that atrophy precedes weakness.

My question is how significant is that weakness?
For example would the atrophy occur in the calf after you have lost the ability to stand on your toes?
Or would you still have the ability to use the muscle some? Thank you all.

Where did you read atrophy precedes weakness? That is backward. Did you say it wrong? I have pretty severe weakness without atrophy yet lost calf raise and toewalk and do not see a speck of atrophy there

Yes ma'am I mis phrased that it's supposed to say atrophy is preceded by weakness my mistake.

In fairness, people esp. with pre-existing atrophy and/or muscular compromise may show atrophy before clinical weakness. My husband did. His arms were already atrophied so he had core muscles that compensated -- for a while. In any event, it's the combination that's most significant, not the order of presentation.

Um not sure what you are saying? His arms were atrophied from a previous medical condition? Or his arms atrophied but he still had function because he could use other muscles to perform a task? If the later, presumably there was weakness that would be found on a clinical exam even if he did not notice it?

In fairness, people esp. with pre-existing atrophy and/or muscular compromise may show atrophy before clinical weakness. My husband did. His arms were already atrophied so he had core muscles that compensated -- for a while. In any event, it's the combination that's most significant, not the order of presentation.

I apologize I don't understand?

Um not sure what you are saying? His arms were atrophied from a previous medical condition? Or his arms atrophied but he still had function because he could use other muscles to perform a task? If the later, presumably there was weakness that would be found on a clinical exam even if he did not notice it?

This is what I was wondering I'm not sure what you mean at all. I don't have any pre-existing medical conditions other than asthma when I was younger, and I'm only 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back