Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ky
City
Lexington
So Im sure this probably isn't ALS....but I figured i'd double check the forums to get a small bit of relief.

About 8 months back (more or less) I noticed my legs would constantly feel sore in the morning, sometimes all day....sometimes just the morning. Same with my arms.

I can only describe is as a sort of growing pain like feeling, but they felt "tired" as well. especially my arms sometimes, they just feel like I just need to set them down.

The past month i've developed "thumb/finger" tremors, however it's only when I set them in a certain position or bend them a certain way. I did see the Neuro, since my main worry was MS (my tremors got worse when I took a hot shower etc). I didn't bring up PD or ALS but my MRI came back clean (he didnt think it was MS anyways). But the tremors have pretty much mostly subsided (they still come and go with stress), however my legs and arms still remain sore and tired everyday.

My neuro seemed to think maybe RLS (but just at night) but didn't do an EMG or anything. Im still able to walk and run up stairs, albeit ill be kinda sore afterwards. I can still do pullups, lift stuff fine. But I will experience a sort of muscle fatigue when im holding my arms up too much (like brushing my teeth and such). It doesn't prevent me from doing it......I just feel the tiredness in my muscles.

For reference I am a 26 Y/O Male, no family history of the disease. Otherwise it doesn't affect my everyday life besides just having muscle fatigue/soreness.

Any ideas? This has been going on for 6-7 months at least. Im thinking maybe BFS......but I never brought up anything to the Neuro as the "Sore leg" syndrome was brought up secondary to my Tremors (which is what I saw him originally for). Surely after 7 months if I had ALS I prolly wouldn't be able to do 5 pullups correct? Is this just "perceived" weakness I am feeling. Sorry for the long post and thanks!

I wish I could figure out how to edit the page (is there a way). I should add that......Besides the thumb/finger "twitch" if you can call it that I don't really have any other twitches besides the occasional muscle spasm after I do pullups or work out my muscles (which usually leaves after a day). Sorry I couldn't figure out edit.

Nothing that you have described here sounds like ALS in any way. Apparently, your neuro doesn't see anything to be concerned about, since he's not continuing to test for other conditions. Count your blessings and move on with your life.

If the muscle soreness persists, follow that up with your primary care physician to make sure that you aren't having some kind of reaction to something in your diet or maybe overdoing things on the exercise.

Thanks, I figured it was a long shot....and I hate to be "that guy"....but I figured i'd ask.
It bugs me I didn't "bring" this up to the neuro....hell even asking him "Does this seem like ALS/PD" prolly would've helped out. I guess I was so relieved by the negative MRI (And MS diagnosis) that I forgot, bigtime derp moment on my part.

I mean even though I do have Muscle soreness, is the "Tiredness" I feel just a perceived weakness I guess? Im guessing with an Actual Neuron disease and actual muscle weakness I wouldn't be able to even do the things I described? Especially going on 7-8 Months or so of this...

I believe alot of it has to do with my job (Programmer...sitting for 8 hours a day+more at home to do programming)........Don't really get to use my arms that much. Anyways I appreciate your reply.

If symptoms started 8 months ago, your ability to run up stairs and do all that exercise would would decline beyond sore and tired.

Dear M,

Please listen to Tr. He's our "go to guy". He will never steer you wrong. But if for some reason you need a fourth opinion (doctor first, Tr second, JB third), I will give you my 2 cents.

Your symptoms don't sound like mine. And you really should have faith in your doctors. I mean, he did go to med school.

If your still not satisfied, make another appointment and bring up your symptoms that you had forgotten about. But this time, write them all down so you won't need to question his diagnosis.

Good Luck,

Ya your right......I should've brought these things up. I mean I figured it wasn't but I also thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

The timeline is what really makes me think there could be no way. I mean my soreness has been going on for a LONGG time, and even though it makes me a bit fatigued feeling....I can still "summon" the strength if I need to.

Sounds like more of a BFS probability, despite the fact I don't really twitch "that much" and when I do it's larger muscle spasms that go away after a day.

Regardless I appreciate everyones input.

If you don't mind me asking (Darn edit.....always forget what I want to say till i post them) What did your symptoms start out as Toto's.

Mercfh,

Since Toto, JB, and I have actually been diagnosed with ALS, how our disease started really isn't relevant to your condition in any way. What is relevant to your condition is that you work with your doctors to find out what's causing your particular symptoms and what treatment will relieve them.

Good luck to you.

Thanks, Tr.

M,

We here at the forum have found that if we discuss our symptoms, in no time we have others believing they have the same symptoms. And as we said, go back to your neurologist with a list. When all is done, please come back and let us know.

Good Luck,

I understand, that makes sense after all. Sorry to impose.
I may not be to the neuro for awhile (family stuff) but when I do I will see what he says.

But the most important thing was crossing off ALS off the list of "possibilities" but it seems I have no reason to worry. Hopefully i'll get this figured out sometime.

I appreciate your answers though.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back