00/0000
Country
US
State
OR
City
Portland
Hi everyone,

For the limb-onset form of ALS, could you help answer the following? I've had a hard time getting straight answers out of Dr. Google:

Is the first muscular weakness that occurs gradual, in the sense that you notice very small changes? Or is it a "everything felt completely normal until I fell over/dropped something?" Everything I've read seems to indicate that even anxiety can cause weakness to some extent, and I'm fairly certain I'm just suffering from health anxiety (father has terrible end-stage MS so I'm a bit sensitive to MNDs), but I just wanted to see what some of the experiences out there were (it may not matter, but I'm having minor symptoms in one hand).

Oh, I forgot my secondary question, sorry - is the weakness generally more fine motor skill related to start with (e.g. typing) or more macro related movement (pinching/picking up objects)?

It would depend on the muscle(s) involved, but the hallmark of ALS is that you can't do something, not that it feels hard. So it's less about large or small movements or falls, as much as unmistakeable change from yesterday to today.

MS is not a motor neuron disease per se, since it involves sensory nerves as well, and motor neurons in a different way, but I'm sorry to hear about your dad. You're right that anxiety can create and worsen physical issues, so I encourage you to seek counseling or find someone you trust to talk through things in this difficult time.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back