Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Hampshire
City
Portsmouth
Hi there,

I'm looking for some further information on initial symptons. I have read the sticky note at the top of the page but wonder if the community can add to this.

-I'm 35 male. 75kg.

-Up until the end of September I felt well.

-In October I had a bad cold which lasted several weeks, which i seemed to get over - shortly after I had pains under my arm pits / shoulder blade area which were an ache on both sides but more in the left. Initially I put this down to hunching at my computer desk. My neck on the right side was also tight (I visited an Ostepath for this which seemed to help but I worry that they may have damaged me)

-my thighs / hamstrings feel very weak on both legs. I can still walk but get very tired and have been laying down a lot.

-my left arm forearm muscle feels weaker than normal & has a slight ache, and I can feel it a lot if I flex my left hand back towards it.

-my left hand index finger bottom joint feels sore / achy and my thumb does to. I can still grip things. I have developed a habit of clenching my fists as I'm worried that all of a sudden my grip will just go.

-my left big toe also was sore in the joint.

-I feel generally nauseous

The questions I have are:-
1. In the sticky read before posting it talks about failure. Would my grip just stop working or would it be gradual decline?

2. Could ALS come on within 6 weeks?

3. Can an Ostepath manipulating the neck cause ALS?

4. Does the above sound like symptons anyone else had?

5. I'm going to ask my gp to arrange a referal to a neurologist, is there anything I should ask that they have before arranging to see them. E.g. should they be experts in a specific area? (Hope that doesn't sound too dumb)

6. Woud a forearm be a place for ALS to start?

I thank anyone in advance who will take the time to reply to this message.

Thanks

Thanks for the detail, I'll answer your questions clearly I hope.

1. It would stop working, just like the sticky says
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. You should ask your GP what he/she thinks is the right specialty if any to send you to and follow that advice.
6. Not by aching, no.

Best of luck finding out what is going on, but it's NOT ALS, nothing like it :)

Thanks for the answer tillie. You seem to comment in most threads and I've found what you write really informative.

I forgot to mention in the original post that I do have some twitching in left arm too from hand to forearm - would this be more of an ALS symptom?

Sorry for multiple questions but just read this on the MNDasaociation website. It says it can be hard to diagnose as the symptons can be slight,....I'm not questioning what's been said in the sticky but this goes against the 'failing' & sounds more gradual. I'm worried my forearm weakness and slight finger pain would be classed as slight symptoms which are likely going to get worse?

I've copied the quote here and added page for reference:

Motor neurone disease can be extremely difficult to diagnose for several reasons:

The early symptoms can be quite slight, such as clumsiness, mild weakness or slightly slurred speech, all of which can be attributed to other reasons. It can be some time before someone feels it necessary to see a GP

https://www.mndassociation.org/what-is-mnd/brief-guide-to-mnd/

Honestly if you have read posts and seen that I often reply here (to save our paralysed PALS and exhausted CALS some time and energy) - you would have seen me write this, so absorb it please.

TWITCHING MEANS NOTHING

You describe feeling weak, feeling sore, feeling feeling.

Please read our sticky again.

ALS is a disease where the motor neurone in the brain die. You begin to FAIL, but you feel perfectly normal.

Your quote, as though you are teaching us, describes failing - nowhere does it say you will feel weak.

Please let this go and work with a doctor.

Look thru your post and cross out each line that begins with "feels".

My legs no longer work and this is being typed with one knuckle as my hands and arms are mostly gone.

But I "feel" no different than I have for the last 62 years. I do not "feel weak", I am weak.

For future readers, the fact that there may be a gap between symptoms and seeing a physician, does not make something "difficult to diagnose." Thus, the language from the brochure in question is misleading. I hope they fix it one day.

GPS, you are more likely experiencing a post-viral syndrome than anything else. Do see your GP and perhaps ask for a physio referral if no other possible treatment suggests itself.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back