00/0000
Country
PL
State
PL
City
Krakow
Good Morning everyone!

Let me first apologize to all moderators regarding the "Diagnosed" option in my profile - I was unable to leave it blank (for some reason system did not let me register without leaving the empty field).
Second, I would like to thank everyone that takes care of this forum. The FAQ and the rest of the forums are handed perfectly and after reading it I was really relieved at first. However, after thinking a bit I have some questions. But let me start with my whole story.

I am 28 years old. It all began two months ago, I have had issues with the larynx. I started reading online and I found out - throat cancer. I was so afraid... After a couple of days, I have been having issues with the esophagus. I have gone to my doctors to ask for advice, she told me that there is no need to worry, but I have still asked for gastroscopy and X-ray of my lungs.
After the test, I was diagnosed with some symptoms, but it was not cancer. Big relief, such a relief that I have actually cried after receiving the results of the test.
A couple of days later, I was having issues with breathing - I could not take a full breath. Google search - lung cancer.
Again, after the x-ray which did not show any issues with my lungs, I suddenly stopped having issues with my lungs.
In the meantime, I had problems with my bowels, but most likely it is because of stress.

But, the biggest issue I have had so far started 12 days ago. For two months I have had those strange twitches of different parts of my body before I got asleep. I have started looking for the causes of those online and of course I found out about ALS. This must be 90% of the posts here...
Nevertheless, after reading different articles, it's symptoms I have started feeling those "twitchings" in my whole body but in a day.
I went to my neurologist, he did some regular tests and diagnosed so-called Myoclonus. Only told me to eat vitamins. Oh right, I was happy and left his office.

Only one-two days later my world has shattered. My fingers started twitching, I have started feeling very weak, my muscles went very weak as well, almost every movement has ended up with squeezing my teeth - like it was very hard to do something. I feel like my limbs are very stiff and tense (especially my left thigh). It has been like that for over a week. For example - when I am trying to click on the mouse, my finger is twitching crazy from time to time.
Yesterday when I went to bed, my left foot has had something familiar to fasciculations and since then I feel like my left leg is a lot weaker than earlier.
Today I went to the neurologist again to tell him about my symptoms and told him about the possibility of ALS. He again checked my nerves with basic tests and diagnosed that there is nothing wrong with my nerves. Also told me - as you have perfectly stated in the FAQ - These tests can be uncomfortable so your physician will not recommend - exactly what he said :)

Unfortunately, as compared with the previous health tests, my symptoms did not disappear after diagnosis and the weakness, twitching in fingers and fatigue are still here, bothering me and disturbing my work... I am unable to make a move without feeling stress.

I have found out about this forum so I have started reading some of the posts and more importantly - "READ BEFORE POSTING" and I have a query:
I understand that the reasoning for ALS is a muscle to stop working and the person with ALS is not able to do the activities that he has been doing previously, is it actually possible to check if there is ALS developing in my body? Can weakened muscle actually be a symptom of ALS? Or does necessarily have to be a not working muscle?
Is it possible that that ALS has developed within two-three weeks?
I am appointed with a psychiatrist within a couple of days. Is it really possible that my mind can be doing such tricks and it is making my body work like that...

I am genuinely scared and I do not know what else am I supposed to do...

Hi you can enter 00/0000 for diagnosis date please. Thank you in advance for fixing.

Twitches are meaningless ALS would not affect hand and legs so quickly and your neurologist would have detected issues.

I will leave longer explanations to others. My hands are tired today

Hi you can enter 00/0000 for diagnosis date please. Thank you in advance for fixing.

Twitches are meaningless ALS would not affect hand and legs so quickly and your neurologist would have detected issues.

I will leave longer explanations to others. My hands are tired today

Apologies! The mistake has been fixed!
Thank you for your effort Nikki J. Your work here is invaluable!

Myoclonus is a form of twitching. It may get worse before it gets better, as in your case. Vitamins do not work immediately and you also have a great influence by paying attention to sleep, stress and the nutrition that you receive from less-processed food (fruits, veg, lean meats, whole grains, dairy) and adequate hydration. Processed foods are high in salt, sugar and other chemicals that can worsen twitching and feeling unwell. Stretching, walking, swimming and other exercise that lengthens the muscles is good as well.

Since people find it hard to say when a muscle is "weak," the concern for any disease or injury, not just ALS, is when there is something you cannot do or when a doctor finds a loss of strength.

As Nikki has said, we do not see any need to worry about ALS in your case.

Best,
Laurie

I understand that the reasoning for ALS is a muscle to stop working and the person with ALS is not able to do the activities that he has been doing previously, is it actually possible to check if there is ALS developing in my body? Can weakened muscle actually be a symptom of ALS? Or does necessarily have to be a not working muscle?
Is it possible that that ALS has developed within two-three weeks?

Wow, you’ve gone from having a couple different types of cancer to ALS in a short amount of time, despite at least two visits to the neurologist which should have reassured you. You know you have crippling health anxiety. I’m glad you will be seeing a psychiatrist.

You read the “read before posting” sticky. With ALS, a person finds s/he can not do something s/he could previously do, such as rising up on the toes or heels, fastening a button, or opening a ziplock bag. You can’t really examine yourself for weakness. But you have already seen a neurologist who did not find weakness. Therefore ALS is not developing in your body. At this point, your chances of getting ALS are less than your chances of getting struck by lightning.

I hope you can get your health anxiety under control so that you may live a long and happy life.

Thank you very much for your kindness and support! I have been to different forums but never ever have I seen such a kindliness.

Yes, I really hope that all my problems are the cause of my physics :) All the recent symptoms are really making my life hard...

Nevertheless, I wish you all the best!

Good Morning everyone!

So, I have woken up today and have decided to look at my legs and I have noticed ... fasciculations :(
It looks like this:

There is a lot of those twitches happening, like seriously... a lot...
Now I am way more scaried than before, no idea for how long could I have been having those fasciulations because I have never checked it... Damn it :(

Again, twitches are meaningless. Most people twitch and some twitch a lot. The more anxious you get the more you will twitch as your anxiety overstimulates your nervous system.

Today i have been to a psychiatrist. After hearing my story she obviously said that this is neurosis /anxiety. Prescribed me two medicines.
Hopefully, this will help, because i am constantly feeling week and my hands do not stop trembling after moving them, they still feel heavy and fasciculations (mainly on my calvs and feets) do not stop as well.

Another update from me:

It has been 8 days since i have started taking pills (Asertin 50). I feel a bit better in my mind. Calmer. Im glsd i have started my mind treatment. Fasciculations did not stop, moreiver they appear on more places on my body (still the majority are on my calfs). Every freaking minute!!
My hands still feel a bit heavy and tremor on both hands is still there. Sometimes i wonder if the tremor is in my whole body and not only hands. My lower jaw is also trembling :D

In the meanrime i have been to a second neurologist, who diagnosed me with anxiety as well. She saw my fasciculstions and hands and said that it is no ALS for sure and EMG is not required.
What is worrying is the fact that this neurologist said that I do not have ALS because im too young (lol).

Why do I keep posting here? Because i know exactly how paranoid and stressed people think and look for answers. For example they search a specific phrases "tremor + finger + als". Maybe one lost soul will find my theeat and find some similiarities with my symptoms. Who knows!

Anyways, i will keep u guys update soon! Take care everyone!

Hi there, me again!

Apologies for bothering you again my dearest. Just wanted to update my case and ask some questions.

It has been almost 4 weeks since I have started taking an anti-depressant. Unfortunately, despite having a bit better frame of mind, my symptoms did not go away.
Moreover, my fasciculations have become more and more frequent and are happening in both my legs (calfs, feet) and sometimes on different parts of the body (biceps, hands, butt (xD)).
I understand that fasciculations without weakness are less likely to be ALS. And to be honest I have started working out since my symptoms came by, gotta say - I even managed to build some muscles, but then again... ALS is so tricky that one day I can start losing all my muscles, so yeah...

Nevertheless, what really scares me is so-called "ratcheting". It is when I tighten my muscles, they shake/tremor. Every single part of my body shakes - I stretch -I shake, I strain my muscles (without any weight - just lifting my arm while tightened muscle) - I shake. Legs, arms, hands, feet - It doesn't matter which part, I always shake.
Also, tremor in my fingers and I believe so-called "hand stiffness" on both hands. I feel like my hands are very hard to move... Like something has been holding my arm to stop me from movement. Again, not feeling weakness - still can do push-ups.

Is it even possible that all those symptoms appearing within 1,5 month in ALS?

I am really trying to forget about it, I really try to believe that I do not have ALS, but all those symptons do not give me a rest making me more anxious...

Happy to say this is still not ALS - you seem to be trying to convince yourself? Please read the following post really carefully as this is our official position and it should completely calm all your fears.

Antidepressants in the group to which yours belongs have been known to cause or exacerbate twitching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back