Diagnosis
10/2011
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Marion
My daughter is concerned about when breathing is affected and wearing a mask on her face. She often yells for me to reposition her get a drink etc.she also gets claustrophobic. She says because of this she cant wear anything over her mouth or strapping her chin. She is refusing a vent for later stages to. Anyone have this problem or know a way around this.

My hubby is insanely claustrophobic. Just ordered his bi pap. Testing day was horrible. Had an anxiety attack every time they tried to put mask on but after 4 or 5 trays he managed to wear it for about 20 min. Were told to start small and work our way up. Going to be a long process I think. Thought he could maybe take some ativan to relax before wearing it but clinic says his breathing is too bad, too risky. Hoping your daughter has better luck?!

Nasal pillows if this bipap? If she can keep her mouth closed.
Venting is another issue very very personal. I know she is young but she has to decide and she may change her mind. My sister says she might vent. I have absolutely no intention of venting. ( we are both limb onset.which I think makes a difference)

My husband was not extremely claustrophobic, but it was an adjustment to wear the mask for long periods. There is a point when the mask and the air is a relief and not an issue. However he did take an anti anxiety medicine regularly(Zoloft) and the occasional Xanax before bed. He only used the bipap when laying in bed. (His FVC was below 15% for at least two years.) Some meds may help with the anxiety and there are also different kinds of masks to try. One we didn't use until later was a mouth with nose plugs that may not be as claustrophobic. As with many things it is trial and error until you find the right fit for you. You can view different types of masks online or possibly try a few types with a respiratory therapist if they have samples to try on. I suggest trying some masks ahead of time to get use to them and the idea, but sometimes this is just too much to ask so you take it as it comes. Just some thoughts, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back