Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
City
Miami
I’m here posting I guess to vent and to hear opinions from others. I’ve been dealing with this issue for 14 months now
So 14 months ago I had a strong twitch for several hours in left forearm. A few weeks later it spread through ought my body and up till today I have them stil. In feet, legs, arms, hands, mouth am so on. Then I started noticing what atrophy in left hand so I had a emg if left side of my body 5 months later. The doctor said it was normal except minor ulnar neuropathy in left hand. I then started noticing similar atrophy in right hand and also some in between my pinky and ring finger. So I had a emg on right arm which the doc couldn’t find anything. I went to see a second neurologist and so far he’s only done a strength test and reflex test. He sees the twitching but says but wants to keep seeing me every 3 months to monitor me. Also my legs often feel stiff and I understand a lot of these symptoms could be anxiety related and I know I may be dumb for thinking this but I question the neurologist who did my two emgs. It seems every month I’ll have a episode on any given muscle of a real heavy fasciculations episode but always have muscles twitching off and on all over.

All-over twitching points away from ALS, as does two normal EMGs excluding ulnar neuropathy. Stress, sleep, nutrition and hydration may all play a role.

If you don't trust the neurologist, of course, you can always seek help from another, but that's unlikely to change EMG results. If the atrophy you perceive has not been flagged as a clinical issue, it's unlikely it's really worth worrying about.

As you know, ALS seldom takes 14 months to manifest, least of all with no clinical weakness, the lack of which is the real key here. You seem very much in the clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back