Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
WISCONSIN
City
foxboro
hello everyone, my name is becca...my mother in law was recently diagnosed with als. her als also has caused dementia...she is declining quickly. just last week she started having diharrea and it has been a problem...we wonder if this is a new element of decline in her als progression? like the muscles in her bowel have ben affected now...? we looked on this forum and saw one person write about aereflexic bowel problems. but we dont know if this is what she has. she does not complain ofconstipation but the dementia part of her als would make it impossible for her to both grasp and relate that to us if it was a problem. does anyone know if loose stool problems is a sign of her disease worsening? when she has the diharrea, it is accompanied by loss of use of her legs so that she has to be in bed...she cant use her legs at all during these bouts. any info or experience in this would be greatly appreciated. thanks much.
sinceley,
becca

Hi Becca- welcome to the forum although I am sorry to hear about your MIL. I have heard of weakness and bowel dysfunction going hand in hand. A few others on here have talked about this. She could be having some sort of bug, though as opposed to progressing. I find I am much weaker whenever I get sick. I guess our systems are compromised and it does not take too much to over-tax us.

Anyway, I am glad you joined us and feel free to write back about any concerns. This is a great bunch of folks and everyone is very compassionate. Cindy

becca,

If she can use her legs when she does not have this,
She might be getting dehyrated Is she drinking and eating? Try giving her some gatorade
to get back some of her electrolites.

help please?

hello out there...i am trying to post a new question, but am new to the site so forgot how i did it the first time...what do i need to click on to get to the right place to post again? any help would be apprecuated.
thanks much all.
becca

Hi beccag

Hi beccag:

The only thing you have to do to post a new question ("NEW THREAD") is to go to
ALS SUPPORT FORUM GROUPS, from there click on ALS/MND CAREGIVER SUPPORT GROUP, if that's the place were you want to ask your question, click on Thread Starter and go to the bottom of the page left side, were you will find a green button NEW THREAD, CLICK THERE AND POST YOUR NEW MESSAGE

Hope to have been of help.

Paty
Cals to late husband Jorge
Baja California, México

PD AS TO YOUR MIL PROBLEMS WITH HER BOWEL MOVEMENT, WHAT I LEARNED ALL THE YEARS I TOOK CARE OF MY HUSBAND IS THAT BOWEL MOVEMENTS ARE NOT A PROBLEM WITH A.L.S., her diahrrea may have been caused by something she ate,
or maybe she has a stomach infection and a "BUG" (bacteria or a virus) is
causing this.

ALL THE TIME MY HUSBAND WAS SICK HE NEVER HAD DIAHRREA TO THE CONTRARY
HE WOULD CONSTIPATE

ALS DOESN'T CAUSE PROBLEMS LIKE BOWEL DYSFUNCTION, LIKE MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS DOES, YOU CAN GO SEARCH IN INTERNET FOR ALS AND READ A LITTLE MORE
ABOUT WHAT THIS TERRIBLE AWFUL SICKNESS DOES, ALTHOUGH WE HERE KNOW
THAT ALS DOESN'T WORK THE SAME IN EVERY PERSON, SOME PEOPLE LIVE LONGER AND
OTHERS DIE SOONER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back