Questions and concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
If medical bills are piling up and no one is recommending one, there does not seem an unrecognized need to press for it. You can see what PT can achieve. Often, as you progress in it, your problem and the way to address it gets clearer.

On the other hand, if you are really in the position that an EMG gets you out of the dark place, that may be worth more than money. Only you can say. What we can say is we don't see ALS, and won't, in what you have shared.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for your input. I decided to follow-up with my Physio/Ortho doctor and requested an appointment for an EMG. No reply yet. He informed me before it wasn't warranted. Unfortunately, I feel it is needed at this point based on what I am seeing and feeling in my quad even after intense conservative treatments and 8 PT sessions. This is going on for months now and the thigh/quad doesn't seem to be getting better. I will say on a positive note, the twitching has calmed a bit... no idea why.

8 PT sessions isn't going to solve most problems. I would give it more time, and of course, there are multiple PT clinics in the sea if you do not find yours on point.

The Effexor usually works better with at least some self-reflection as to what led up to it, if not counseling. Not sure when you started it but it can take several weeks for peak effect.

I think we have done all we can here pending an EMG if you have one, or any further clinical findings. As you have read, none of this is adding up to ALS for us. I strongly suggest you start considering other routes to feeling better than the self-diagnostic path, which can be its own kind of drug. And not a healthy one.

Thank you Laurie! I'm in intensive counseling now and working on things both physically and mentally. I just came from PT and they triggered the pain in my quad area. They mentioned the pain I'm feeling is within the TFL (tensor fascia latae) or hip-flexor and it's induced by the sciatic nerve being impinged from my glute muscle? They did some pressure work and feel this is the cause of the pain/feelings. I just don't get why I see what I see and the twitching. I have a re-evaluation on Monday by them. I will come back if needed but as you mentioned everyone has chimed in as best they can for now. Fingers crossed they PT is on to something! I wish you all the best and really do hope I do not need to return. I appreciate all of you!

Just got back from a PT eval (post 10 sessions). They noticed weakness in the left glute =( seems no better than when I started unfortunately. They are asking the referring doctor to move forward with the MRI of the leg/hip. I'm unstable when doing the glute testing (bridge and leg lifts). I feel some pain while doing them in the outer hip area as well. I'm so worried again. I thought it would have been better results. I'm doing all of there exercises and stretching... everything. Twitching continues as well along with the shakiness. I'm sorry, I was hoping for some better news.

Still sounds nothing like ALS. The MRI will be checking for injury or other damage.

It would be an oddity the PT said... one for the "medical journals" she said to be specific. She said she has seen and worked with a few PALS over the years and tried reassuring me this is not like that. Still hard to mentally handle all of this when the fact is the glute was found to be weaker. Both ortho and the neuro I managed to see didn't do this test... I find that odd.

Nothing like ALS.

Docs often do different tests than PTs. They are trained differently. There is nothing to read into that.

Everyone you are working with, who has actually tested you, says "no ALS."

Time to believe them and address what you do have, so I'm closing this thread. Please do not start another unless an EMG + clinical findings reveal motor neuron disease.

Keep working on the anxiety and the weak muscles and I am sure you will feel more confident soon. It does take some patience and really thinking through the fact that you are the only one that is worried about ALS.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back